Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

110v ac solenoid energize time

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer1000

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Another solenoid question, If I have 110Vac solenoid value can I power it from 115Vac transformer and can I keep it energized for a reasonable amount of time say a few hours or will it get too hot and the coil burn out

See rated voltage range specificated at device label.

Solenoids are rated for an inrush current for when the core is out, I would think that the designer reckoned that the core would "clunk" in in a matter of a few 100 milliseconds. Then the magnetic path is completed and the current will fall dramatically to say 15% of the core out current. So I would say that a 5% voltage overload with the core IN is OK, but 100% operating voltage with the core out is not OK.
Frank

Acceptable voltage ratings are usually +/- 10% of nominal. So 115Vac on a 110Vac solenoid is just fine.

Having said this.....
There are continuous duty and intermittent duty solenoids.

Given the same solenoid size, an intermittent duty has significantly greater pulling power than a continuous duty. But it will burn out if not allowed to rest and cool off.

Which type do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.