Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

110~230V AC Voltage Range Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodee

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Im trying to figure out how some appliances work from a range of 100~230vac, obviously this covers both the 110V and 230V standard mains supplies so how in terms of the circuit is this achieved?

Im hoping to run a solenoid that will work from either 110 or 230V AC, but am a bit lost on how this will work, any ideas to get me going?

Thanks,
Nodee

Appliances with wide supply range are mostly powered by SMPS (switched mode power supplies) in flyback mode, that can easily span the range. Automated switching with relays or triacs/solid state relays can be found in rare cases.

Ive been doing some looking around, could I use phase control operation with a triac+diac setup and reduce/increase the phase for 230/110V?

The solenoid when connected to 110V draws around 450mA, if I use 230V (roughly double V) and half the time the solenoid is on for via the traic is that likely to give a average of about 450mA at 230V?

Thinking of using a PIC and MOC3022 to fire the Triac, if the PIC also senses the line voltage coming in I could adjust the triac firing time accordingly?

Thanks,
nodee

Just use a voltage doubler rectifier.........either make the link a manual switch, or do it via a relay switched via a controller depending on the Vin.

Status
Not open for further replies.