Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10M PC to microcontroller cabled connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3.exe

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

Does anyone know how to interface uC to PC over 10m distance, with data rates up to 1Mbitps?

looking forward to your replies.

Might be a little overkill but LVDS would work.

See this for speed vs. distance: **broken link removed** - youd be looking at anywhere between 500-600Mbps.

You can buy really simple driver/reciever chips that would be good for serial connections.

x3.exe

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Forgot to mention that data is output from uC through UART. As far as I know, for RS232 cables, length of the cable should be very short in order to operate at 1Mbps. For USB, maximum cable length is 5m. However, I have read that there are some USB active extension cables, which have built-in repeaters or something. However, I am not sure whether it will provide a reliable communication link between computer and microcontroller. Does anyone have any experience in using USB extension cables with microcontrollers?

Hi x3.exe,

Sorry I can't tell you much about USB repeaters, but acctually when I mentioned LVDS I was thinking of a serial connection like you mentioned.

Now I have never done this but I am *pretty sure* you could use a couple of these to 'jump' the 10m gap between your uC and your PC: **broken link removed**

I would think it would be a simple matter of providing them power then just connecting the appropirate Tx/Rx of your serial ports to the inputs/outputs and running some cheap twisted pair inbetween.

Those chips are about £2 each, so it might be a fair bit cheaper than using USB.

Good luck anyway with whatever you go with!

x3.exe

What about RS485? You can get RS232 to RS485 converters which will handle 1Mbit/sec (e.g. Amplicon 485HF9) which plug directly into an existing serial port, or you can get the bare RS485 transceivers (e.g. Maxim MAX3080 family) for integrating onto your own PCB.

x3.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.