Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100V Floating MOSFETs

Status
Not open for further replies.

shepst

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I'm trying to understand whether it is possible to "float" a circuit?
How can I manage doing that?
the circuit is combined with 5v pmos and 5v native nmos.
the VDD suppose to be 100V and VSS 95V
the voltage drop over all mosfets is around 5V (Vds, Vgs)
if I use deep N-Well all around the circuit, will it stand the high voltage?
how can I calculate the breakdown voltage of the DNW?
schematic3.png

the circuit is combined with 5v pmos and 5v native nmos.
the VDD suppose to be 100V and VSS 95V
the voltage drop over all mosfets is around 5V (Vds, Vgs)
View attachment 109322
if I use deep N-Well all around the circuit, will it stand the high voltage?

Sure, you can do that, if you connect the substrate to DVSS, and if you consider that the whole circuit (incl. substrate and package) is not isolated from DGND.

In this case the deep N-Well has just to withstand a voltage of DVDD-DVSS=5V .

If you'd want to connect the substrate to DGND instead, you'd need a special HV process which use SOI or a HV epi substrate, usually with structure sizes > 1µm , see e.g the following flyer: View attachment XDH10_Data_sheet.pdf or this paper: View attachment HV_CMOS_Level_Shifter.pdf.

how can I calculate the breakdown voltage of the DNW?

This is published by the fab/foundry. Calculation can be done if you know the doping concentration of the DNW at its junction.

Reactions: shepst

shepst

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
okay, thanks for the answer.
do you know if there's any problem with the floating 5V mosfet, while it gets high voltage (of 100V)?
I mean drain or source voltage, or the risk is only depends on voltage drop between drain to source(or opposite)?

If you think of the floating substrate method (substrate=DVSS) you should be aware that the whole circuit incl. its pins & its package is on HV, i.e. the common HV precautions against touching and PCB connectivity insulation must be taken.

For the MOSFETs themselves there should be no problem, as the whole circuit only sees the normal 5V supply voltage. But you should also take precaution to limit DVDD-DVSS ≤ 5V by external provision (e.g. Z-diode limitation).

Reactions: shepst

shepst

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back