Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1000V switching problem through microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhammadali_16

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.

i m working on some high Capacitor Discharge voltage surges.
my voltage is 835V and i have to discharge it to produce high energy spark. have done with generating, controlling and charging the capacitor

i just want to close the circuit base on some rules. for that conditions and rules, i will use pic micro-controller.

the problem is that i want to turn the HV on or off base on microcontroller i/o pin. can anyone suggest me which component should i use

What are you discharging the capacitor into? (the air, a weld joint, a coil, etc)

How high is the peak current?

A quick thought is a high breakdown voltage triac, like the ST TPDV1225RG.

Also, opto-isolate the triac (or whatever) from the MCU and make sure that there is plenty of decoupling at the MCU.

a resistor. a company require me 30J of energy to be discharged in a resistor. i have demonstrated the HV circuit and they are fine with it. now they wanted the controlled discharging. there are alot of conditions. the best options is using a pic-microcontroller 16f series.

the only problem is how i should turn on or off the main voltage?

please also tell me component number so that i could study the datasheet and implement it instantly

We can't tell you a component number without more information. What resistance? Thus, what current? With that amount of energy stored, you could do a lot of damage!

If you are messing about with high voltage, high energy discharge circuits, you need to do some research and understand fully how to handle the issue.

How quickly do you need the switch to turn on? Why not tell us the exact load that the energy is being dumped into? How frequently will this happen?

I guess that an IGBT (module) might be a good choice, but you will have to research parts that are available to you and find one that meets the requirements.

Yes, do some reading up on high voltage, high current switching techniques, ;-)

you might use fuse (used to provide a soft start). this fuse must be shorted via software. one thing should be keep in mind that no reverse current should flow as it will damage the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.