Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 10 Ghz Bandpass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

guytoub

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi every one !

I want to design a microstrip bandpass filter at 10 Ghz with a narrow bandwidth
i can use ADS to design it but i would like to know which subtrate is the best to design it and which topology i can use.
is it possible with microstrip ?

thanks

sure, why not.
microstrip has a limited range of un-loaded Q's for various types of resonators, so if you try to make the bandpass filter too narrow, you will end up with very high insertion loss.

that is why in demanding applications you can still find things like waveguide or dielectric resonator filters. Below 5 ghz, you almost exclusively see high K ceramic resonators making up the N pole bandpassfilters, or other things like SAW or BAW filters for very narrow band.

thank you for your answer, by narrow band I would say about 100 or 200 Mhz of bandwidth

100 or 200 Mhz of bandwidth

At 10Ghz, 100 Mhz is a very small bandwidth for plain microstrip structure, 1%. The simplest microstrip BFP topology you can play with in ADS is a coupled line filter, but you can never achieve that small a bandwidth. I used microwave office, but I am sure ADS has its own coupled line model. I choose a realisticish substrate, er=3.4 , ~20mil thick, 1oz copper. The vertical cursors are 100 MHz BW center at 10 GHz.
1605753840923.png
1605753859765.png

not sure if that was helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.