Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1/2Axis Magnetic Sensor HMC1001/1002 to make digital compass

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbaocr

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Hochiminh City university of technology (VietNam)
Activity points
hmc1001

hello;
I'm studying about navigation for UAV project! and I meet some problem about
How to make a digital compass from 1 and 2 Axis Magnetic Sensors HMC1001 and HMC1002.I don't understand how those sensors works!And the purpose of value output from those!
Do you explain to me the significance of the voltage value out output from that sensor!
How I can measure azimuth by using magnetic sensors

thank you very much!
I attach datasheet of it below!

how to build sensors for compass

I thought there where some app notes on the honeywell site for this check that out

hmc1001 angle

I think on page #12 & 13 applications and how to use is given. As far as I know use its differential voltage to measure.

digital compass project

Hi !!!
The output voltage is the projection of the surrounding magnetic field along the sensor axis.
The sensitivity of the sensor give you the relationship between the amplitude of the magnetic field and the output voltage. the ratio between the output voltage of the 2 axis gives you the angle (arctan).

There are additionnal pin to invert the axis (to eliminate internal offset / me effect), or to add an offset (eliminating calibrated disturbing thing, like earth magnetic field, or surrounding metallic object)

Hope it help you,

regards

hbaocr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
making a digital compass

use ADXL series chip .

azimuth digital magnetic compass

Maybe you can learn from the mikrokopter project.

we have build one of those here and he is working

how to create digital compass

Hi hbaocr,
From my previous experiance with a Philip's magneto resistive solid state component. What you basically need to understand about these components is that the DC bias is much larger then the signal you are looking for. Therefore a periodic pulse is needed to reverse the axis polarity. Then the AC signal's amplitude could be extracted and arctan(X/Y) shell give you the azimuth.
Please let me know if you want to review my project (we did exactly that - a digital compass), i'll have to look for it, I did it back in 2002.
The arctan could be easily calculated by manipulations of powers of 2 derivatives (moving bits) and a Hash table.

hi iam using hmc 1001 sensor for vehicle detection ,i want to know lm324 opamp is suitable or not?
Please reply

hi iam using hmc 1001 sensor for vehicle detection ,i want to know lm324 opamp is suitable or not?
Please reply

Would like to know more about your vehicle detection system as I have just discovered the HMC 1001/2 and am contemplating using it to detect vehicles too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back