Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0.13um TSMC RF process 4.8GHz VCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeliuliu

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm designing 4.8Ghz VCO with 0.13um TSMC RF process.
The PN of 4.5mA VCO is about -82dBc/Hz@10K,-106dBc/Hz@100KHz, and -126dBc/Hz@1M.
I want to improve PN, but found it's very hard. So, Could you please tell me if I can get better PN no increasing current? thanks a lot and waiting for your reply!

and the output power of the oscillator increase the PN decrease ,

but u need to check the flicker noise variation with the bias current , this will give u genraal view if u can get the desired results or not

khouly

khouly said:

but u need to check the flicker noise variation with the bias current , this will give u genraal view if u can get the desired results or not

khouly

could you explain more ? 1/f noise from the transistor pair depends mostly on W and L, right ? Increasing the current won't help him, because the VCO amplitude will reach a max value...

I suggest increasing w and l, increasing the current until the oscillator amplitude is max, then looking at the PN. if thermal noise is about equal to 1/f noise, cease and desist...

sorry , i have writen a mistake , get the noise as a function in current desnity , not the current only

this will give the indication for noise

khouly

hi,khouly, thank you very much!
I don't understand " the flicker noise variation with the bias current "?
Could u pls say more detail ? thanks!

khouly said:

khouly

How to improve phase noise of an oscillator in general?

I have heard that flicker noise is frequency dependant. Is it depend on biass current variation also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back