Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeTB

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wall outlet electromagnet

in scho l we made an electromagnet in science... well hooked in up to i think 2 d size batteries for power... well i was wondering what would happen if i plugged it into a wall outlet sounds like a bad idea just hearing it but i have to know

Thx in advance

Walloutlet is AC, so it might be; A varying magnetic flux along with a varying current of the AC source... Be sure to step-down first the AC from the walloutlet by a transformer (may be step it down to 24V AC) b'cause 220V is really.... outrageous!

JoeTB

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
JoeTB said:
in scho l we made an electromagnet in science... well hooked in up to i think 2 d size batteries for power... well i was wondering what would happen if i plugged it into a wall outlet sounds like a bad idea just hearing it but i have to know

Thx in advance

Don't just stick it in the wall socket like that, bad idea! Within a second it will get so hot it just melts onto the wall socket. AC wouldn't do much for a electro magnet, it needs to be DC. Use large size wall adapter, say, 12V at 3A or so and experiment like that... safely! :D

JoeTB

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
so if i converted all the wall outlet energy to dc and plugged it in then? bad idea as well?

JoeTB said:
so if i converted all the wall outlet energy to dc and plugged it in then? bad idea as well?

No that's alright. Experiment all you want. :D

JoeTB, are you still alive. I hope you didn't rectify the mains voltage. Instead go shopping for an old electromechanical doorbell and a 6 volt battery (large battery with two springs on top). Once you make it home (Statistical, getting somwhere by car is more dangerous then working with wall outlets) you can try removing the coil from the doorbell and connected it to a 6 volt battery.

JoeTB said:
2 battaries = 3V I assume.

Normally, when you connect that coil into 220V DC or AC it will heat up then burn in a very short time.
Let's assume that it wouldn't heat up and burn. If its temperature stays constant, then its resistance will be constant too.
Then the current on the coil will increase 220/6 ≈ 37 times. According to the Biot-Savart rule, the magnetic field a coil produces is proportional to the current on it.

So the force our coil applies to other ferromagnetic materials will increase by 37 times.

to connect to AC outlet you must consider safety. and you should olso considering impedance of your coil other wais you shoted the terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.