Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

may I use periodic boundary condition for this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gell

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Suppose xy plane is photonic crystal patterned plane. One defect in the center was removed. May I use periodic boundary condition for this four plane normal to x/y axis, respectively? If yes, how to set the periodic boundary condiction? Thanks a lot.

hi,

the problem is that if you set a periodic boundary condition is that you are repeating this defect throughout the whole crystal. However, if you placed your boundaries a little far from the defect, then the repeated defects won't significantly interact with each other and thus you will get the same response as the one with a single defect. You can check this by drawing the field distribution for the defect mode and if it was small enough at the boundaries then this should be correct.

For setting it up, I would just place the periodic boundary 3 cells away from the defect and check the field. if it is small near the edges, then you are done, if not then you will need to place your boundary a little farther,

hope this will help,
Adel

Thanks adel_48 for your great suggestion. I'll do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back