Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to stimulate the bus occupation in PCI-PC applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zape

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PCI - PC application

In a PCI PC based design, how can I stimate the bus occupation? I have to design a PCI board planned to work on a Windows plattform. The requirements of the design require timings of miliseconds and I do not want to base the core of the application in the operating system timer. Where could I find some figures about medium/peak traffic in a PCI bus in a typical PC configuration?

Re: PCI - PC application

zape said:
In a PCI PC based design, how can I stimate the bus occupation? I have to design a PCI board planned to work on a Windows plattform. The requirements of the design require timings of miliseconds and I do not want to base the core of the application in the operating system timer. Where could I find some figures about medium/peak traffic in a PCI bus in a typical PC configuration?

Windows isn't real-time system and design should be interrupt-based.
About traffic: as I remember (not exactly), in Venturcom RTX was pci bus activity monitoring utility.

Look at http://www.vci.com/products/windows_embedded/rtx.asp.

Hi,
I am trying to do the same kind of application.
I have a CPLD board communicating with PC through PCI.

How do you program your application?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

-Sul

zape said:

Could you clarify your question "How do you program your application? "? If you mean FPGA. in my application could be enough with Xilinx ISE.

Which CPLD do you plan to use? PCI interface shall be included in it?

I am using Cypress CY39100 CPLD.

I have to design an application on the PC which will talk to my CPLD.
By talk I mean supply the input and get output response from CPLD.

So my questions are
These are the steps I am thinking of.
Correct me if I am wrong
1) I will have my logic and PCI IP core on the CPLD board.
2) I need to write a device driver for this CPLD on the PCI slot.
3) My s/w application will use the device driver and talk to CPLD

Are there universal free drivers available for a PCI device?

-Sul

zape said:
Could you clarify your question "How do you program your application? "? If you mean FPGA. in my application could be enough with Xilinx ISE.

Which CPLD do you plan to use? PCI interface shall be included in it?

For universal pci driver you may want to take a look at WinDriver. And for pci application, quick logic has some good choices. They have built in IP for pci interface.

Hello

Is there posibilites to design a PCI card, which when system booting don't have a PCI core, and when OS (Linux or Win2k) is working you upload PCI core to FPGA and next load module operating this card. I see in BIOS, function "Non-PnP or PnP OS" maybe this can be used for this purpose?

Does PC motherboards support JTAG on PCI?

Take care

I also need to design & communicate FPGA trough PCI slot
on a PC.
CAN SOMEONE DIRECT ME HOW TO DO IT?
WHAT WINDOWS DRIVER TO USE?
FROM WHERE?
ANY OPEN DESIGN(HARDWARE ,SOFTWARE) AVAILABLE?
THANKS,
BULL

I too am developing a PC based PCI add in card.
As many of you have developed such boards, can you clear the following doubts?
Does a PC motherboard (North Bridge) support a DMA controller to burst data to the PCI slots?
If one of the PCI slots support a DMA controller and wants to burst data to the System memory, how to get this memory map?

Thanks,
it_boy

Hi Sul,
I do not know about cypress cpld and if the pci core is embedded or external.
Of course you will need to develop a driver for the sw application, and as "dll_embed" says WinDriver from Jungo is quite good and you can download an evaluation version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back