Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between rms and pmpo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rms vs pmpo ratio

The answer to this issue lies in how they measure the output power of the device. PMPO stands for "Peak Music Power Output" or "Peak Momentary Power Output". Notice the word peak. They calculate PMPO based on the maximum power output of the device under perfect conditions and 100% efficiency. These conditions are impossible to obtain, and no device can sustain the PMPO power for any significant length of time without being ruined.

while rms is not at all concerned with the peak and is concerned with the whole signal

pmpo vs rms

rajeshks,
Audio amplifier manufacturers routinely (and incorrectly) refer to "RMS power". While "RMS power" can be calculated, it has no useful physical meaning. The correct term is "Average Power". For a sine wave voltage into a resistive load, the Peak power is twice the average power.
Regards,
Kral

meaning of rms and pmpo

PMPO is not defined, it's just a marketing value. Some people say, that PMPO is the heat power being dissipated when burning the speaker. That sounds plausible to me.

But I found out for some of Audio amplifier manufacturers defined PMPO as below:

PMPO = (no load peak to peak voltage)2 x rated rms current at 10% THD

how to calculate pmpo to rms

I've heard that as a simple rule of thumb RMS power may be obtained by dividing PMPO by 10. Im not sure about the validity of this rule though

how can calculate pmpo to rms

Another definition of PMPO:-

Watts(RMS) multiplied by the ratio of marketing people to engineers involved in the project.

Jim

how to calculate pmpo from rms

Agree with Jim here. PMPO has become more of a marketing gimmick now a days. They are no rules or standard followed by any manufacture for PMPO rating. I worked for a Japanese consumer electronics major, and there the PMPO values for different product were different (proportional to cost) even if internal amp ckt and speaker are same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back