Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check whether mosfet is good or not in circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fazan83

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to check mosfet

Guys please help,
DO you know how to check whether mosfet is good or not in circuit?
Understand if it always short drain source then we can check it in circuit but sometime there is a case where mosfet switching is not function properly.

Usually I will lift up it lead or remove it and check whether its swithing is ok or not.

Do you have better idea or way to check this?

Please help guys I am really beginner.

how to check a mosfet

Checking if parts are working correctly in-circuit is possible .... but you need to know what kind of voltage/resistance/signal you have between two given nodes of the circuit when everything is working well. Otherwise the best way to be sure that the component is good is to remove it from the circuit and then test it.

checking mosfet

For N-Type, put a multimeter (set for continuity) in the drain to source of the FET and inject a voltage acros VGS. Drain and source should have very small resistance when you inject voltage at VGS..

fazan83 said:
Guys please help,
DO you know how to check whether mosfet is good or not in circuit?
Understand if it always short drain source then we can check it in circuit but sometime there is a case where mosfet switching is not function properly.

Usually I will lift up it lead or remove it and check whether its swithing is ok or not.

Do you have better idea or way to check this?

Please help guys I am really beginner.

how to check mosfet

i dont suggest testing a MOSFET directly while it is in a circuit... if you try removing its pins and testing then you are in for trouble... especially if it involves your GATE terminal(it is very susceptible to ESD)....

maybe you can check whether the correct voltages and current without disturbing the MOSFET are present in the circuit while it is working..

mosfet checking

If a FET fails it most commonly give a short circuit between Source and Drain. (in power applications) You can messure the resistance between these pins. If it is lower than a MEG it is probably dead.

goodluck..

PS: don't forget to power down your device.. :D

check mosfet

check impedance between drain and source as many suggested. You can also check for diode. Since you have NMOS in your circuit, use multimeter in diode mode, place (-) at drain and (+) at source.

Just an idea. I assume drain of Q2 is Vsupply while source of Q1 is GND. Remove the gate resistor R22 and R21, and then short gate and source together by wires. Apply a small voltage with current limit at drain of Q2 and measure the voltage at S(Q2).

Status
Not open for further replies.