Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there any homemade radars ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eladg

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
redar

is there home made radar ?

very low power

Due to the legal limits on frequency ranges and technology power limits the only ones I have seen are kits and are around 10 GHz and have a detection range of under 100 m.

Hi eladg

What range do you need? You can also use a Gunn-source. This is an oscillator at 10GHz or even 24GHz with integrated mixer-diode. These modules have a waveguide output, so you can attach a (self made) horn antenna. Sensitivity is not too bad, with good antenna you can detect movement even above 100m.
If you want to detect static object, there also exist pulse radars. But they are much more expensive.

Bye

Re: very low power

flatulent said:
Due to the legal limits on frequency ranges and technology power limits the only ones I have seen are kits and are around 10 GHz and have a detection range of under 100 m.

is there p/n
can i make it beter

mr_ghz said:
Hi eladg

What range do you need? You can also use a Gunn-source. This is an oscillator at 10GHz or even 24GHz with integrated mixer-diode. These modules have a waveguide output, so you can attach a (self made) horn antenna. Sensitivity is not too bad, with good antenna you can detect movement even above 100m.
If you want to detect static object, there also exist pulse radars. But they are much more expensive.

Bye

well i need loong range (about 100 km !!)
what lna there is there ?
can i put hi power amp at the output ?

Home-made radar

Hi,
The range You need is high, so the ability to achieve it depends on some application details:
What is the height of the antenna?:
a). If the antenna is ground/marine-based and the hieght is limited to 10-30m then You will have to use VERY high power transmitter in decimeter wavelength range. In this case some birds/cats around such a radar and all of the neighbors TVs (as well as some neighbors :D ) will say good buy forever (if someone will allow You to power it on at all). The dimensions of such an antenna may be also in few good meters range and the weight is few tonns.
b). If the antenna is intended to be installed on the airborne object (even baloon, by the way), this may let You use santimeter wavelength RF. First, this will reduce the dimensions and weight of the antenna, then it will make Your radar more precise and less powerfull and will may help with legal issues (power/frequency)
I think You may try to use even GaAs HEMT or SiGe LNA this will help increasing the range, the only problem is that the minimum range will also be high, because it may be hard to achieve high dynamic range with these LNAs. If the frequency range will allow, You may use double gate FET LNA, this will give good dynamic range.
You should provide VERY good isolation between the transmitting and receiving path by using (even in combination) of circulators, gas discharge shorts and switching diode protection.
It may be good to modulate Your radar frequency by pseudo random noise sequence, this will let You determine the distance more precisely and also will help to increase overall system gain thus increasing maximum radius. Contras are the incresed bandwidth and complicated signal processing especcially at the reciever.
Regards,
F.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back