Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input Impedance for UWB Microstrip Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqzt

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've design a UWB microstrip antenna. The S parameter is ok, but the input impedance is not. The input impedace is not constant at the range of frequency that is between 3.1 - 10.6 GHz. When I design this antenna, I set the input impedance at 50 ohm. The simulation result show that the input impedance is oscillation between 30 - 80 ohm. Anyone know how to make the input impedance is around 50 ohm, if there is a deviation, it's just 5 ohm at the band 3.1 - 10.6 GHz. Should I make an impedance matching? How to make it? I fed the antenna using CPW. Thank you for your help.

What do you mean by "The S parameter is ok"?
If your s11 is ok at frequency range you operate, then you don't need to be worry with the input impedance...

I mean the S11 at the frequency range is below -10 dB. Is the input impedance not important here?

what facosoe meant was that if your S11 is better than -10dB, it means you input impedance for that frequency is a decent match. Are you saying your S11 is less that -10dB for the whole range. thats pretty darn good in itself for that huge band.

ananth said:
what facosoe meant was that if your S11 is better than -10dB, it means you input impedance for that frequency is a decent match. Are you saying your S11 is less that -10dB for the whole range. thats pretty darn good in itself for that huge band.

yes it is. If S11 is less than -10 dB for the whole range, it is implied that the input impedance is must be match with 50 ohm?

The figure below is the graph of S11 and input impedance. The red line is input impedance, and the other is for S11.

It would better if you show the phase of the
impedance as well or the real+ imag part
of the impedance

freqzt:HI!

This UWB antenna function is in the 3 GHz GHzs-10s S11<-11.5 dbs, the importation resistance motion is big some.If continue excellent turn, the whole function would be better.

This is the picture of S11 and input impedance in complex plane (smith chart). The blue line is input impedance and the other one is S11.

Freqzt,

Remember for 2:1 VSWR match with a 50 Ohm line , which is close to 10dB return loss or -10dB |S11|, you can have approximately 25-100 Ohm input impedance swing. Frankly, antenna can be matched according to the definition (i.e. 10dB return loss) even if it does not have 50 Ohm input impedance.

You have asked whether is it needed to bother about input impedance if S11 is fine. My answer is no, unless you are concerned about normalized transfer functions of the antenna.

Afterall, the matching of a UWB antenna is the least of the worries, go ahead and analyze the radiation patterns.

A -10 dB reflection coefficient over that much bandwidth is generally considered good.

Just a warning, it is easy to achieve with a -5 dB attenuator. Be careful and do not fool yourself with a lossy antenna. I think that is what dissa was getting at with the comment about analyzing the radiation patterns (be sure to measure gain, not just directivity).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back