Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the best antenna for RFID reader (it's not tag RFID)

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqzt

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cheap and best designs for rfid reader

Hi all,

I want to design an antenna for RFID reader. This reader works at 2.4 GHz. The bandwidth is 2.4 - 2.4835 GHz. What is the best antenna should I build? The antenna pattern must directional pattern. The simulator that available in my laboratory is HFSS and Micro-Stripes. It must be done in 1 month starting from now. I really need your help.

If anyone has the example of the antenna that i need, you can share it here.

best rfid reader

You're talking of a very small bandwidth, you can use any small bandwidth antenna.

The main problem is you need directivity, you can use a printed Yagi-Uda or just go for a microstrip phased array to get the directivity you need.

If I had to get something really fast I would purchase a standard gain horn from someone like MI Technologies. You can add a coax to waveguide transition if a coaxial feed is more convenient.

The advantage here is that it is done and well documented. The gain will be in the vicinity of 15 dBi and the antenna will be very strong and relatively easy to mount. You would really have to work to damage it.

Once you have some additional time you could design something else. I know this is a design forum but I like to think of our job as solving problems quickly.

try looking here: h**p://www.mi-technologies.com/catalog/antennas/s12ghorn.pdf

A search on standard gain antennas would probably come up with a dozen other sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.