Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the Norton's theorem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
norton theorem black box,

A method for simplifing a two terminal linear circuit to an equivalent circuit with ony a current source in parallel with a resistance.

sam khan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: norton's theorem

A two-terminal equlivalent circuit can be represented by a Thevenin's circuit or a Nortons's circuit. Both of them are very useful in analyzing multi-stage circuits and feedback circuits.

sam khan

Hi,

Its an equivalent representation of a circuit with only current source, i mean Norton current source and a Norton resistance in parallel with the load resistance. Ok now if you know the Thevenin Theorrem its very easy to find Norton therom from Thevenin theorem.

In thevenine network u represent the circuit by a V-th and R_th in series with V_th, so simply find I_N (Norton current source value) by using ohms law and replace the R_th as R_N, but now in parallel.

Sorry I cant draw figures here, but if you have Nilson's Book with you, this is explained very easily there.

BR,

Arif Khan

Please press helped me!!

sam khan

norton's theorem

this theorem gives the equivalent of any electrical network in term of a resistance and current source.

norton's theorem

The theorem states that the voltage across an element that is connected to two terminals of a linear network is equal to the short-circuit current between these terminals in the absence of the element, divided by the sum of the admittances between the terminals associated with the element and the network respectively.
In short we can say.............
Any network of voltage sources and resistors can be replace by a single current source in parallel with a single resistor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we can represent resistive network that contain dependent or independent sources only by an independent current source and a resirtor in paralel with this souurce.

sam khan,
Previous answers may be generalized for AC sources at a single frequency. Consequently, you may substitue the wrod "impedance" for "resistance". Of course, you may only do this for a specific frequency. Caution
; Norton's and Thevenin's theorenms only apply for linear networks.
Regards,
Kral

ckt simplification technique

norton's theorem

norton
find I_N (Norton current source value) by using ohms law and replace the R_th as R_N, but now in parallel

Any Linear Time Invariant Circuit considered as a black box of two terminals can be thought of (or replaced with) a voltage source in series with a resistor.

norton's theorem

Norton's theorem:-
Norton's theorem for electrical networks states that any collection of voltage sources and resistors with two terminals is electrically equivalent to an ideal current source, I, in parallel with a single resistor, R. For single-frequency AC systems the theorem can also be applied to general impedances, not just resistors. The Norton equivalent is used to represent any network of linear sources and impedances, at a given frequency. The circuit consists of an ideal current source in parallel with an ideal impedance (or resistor for non-reactive circuits).
Norton's theorem is an extension of Thévenin's theorem

sam khan

The Joy of Electronics said:
Any Linear Time Invariant Circuit considered as a black box of two terminals can be thought of (or replaced with) a voltage source in series with a resistor.
This definition is Thevenin's Theorem i think.

norton theorem is used to simplify any complex circuitry...
by calculating the equivalent resistance and current at the specified point...
then the equivalent resistance is connected in parallel with the current source....

sam khan

It is a theorem to find the value of current in any branch of the circuit.

For this first take any circuit & select the branch in which you have to find out the value of current.
Now first short circuit that branch & by using series parallel theorem find out the value of current through that branch.

Now find out the equivalent impedance across that branch.

Now put all the three in parallel condition & by using parallel current theorem
you can find the current through the required branch.

Any network of voltage sources and resistors can be replace by a single current source in parallel with a single resistor.

same as thevinin but here we have to find ' i ' here

Status
Not open for further replies.