Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to solder this chip? (attachment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goxy

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to solder this chip?

I'm find chips with excelent characteristic but they are realy chips.
Does anybody know some machine to solder this?
I no need speed just precision for this elements.
Chip looks like in attachment.

one method

I have had these types in my designs. First a solder paste is put on the pads with a silk screen process. Then hot air is blown to heat the chip and board. Then the results is x-rayed to make sure the solder worked on all of the pads.

are there any companies in North America (or Europe) that will do this type of soldering for small quantities?

I have a Xilinx FPGA in a BGA package that I need soldered to my board and I would need someone to do it for me.

- Jayson

Flatulent it's good idea like with microprocessors. Heaters are not expensive, in my country about 400$, everybody used them for mobile repairing. I can manualy put solder past on board, I have microscope.

Firsly I was think do do that with some microscope and very precision iron , but I don't know how. Manufactuer of this chip is get picture with thin wire like on picture in attachment.

How thin tape I can made with standard foto-process (600dpi laser printer, UV lamp and Positiv-in my case by Kontakt Chemie)?

I'd forot, this chip work on 18Ghz.

mechanical problem

The problem with having all of the pads underneith on a hard surface is that they all have to be soldered at the same time. Otherwise you get a tilt on the chip and some pads are up in the air with no solder under them. this type of chip is not a hand solder type. The type with the metal fingers out on the side are easy to solder. unfortunately, the world is going to mass prdduction robot type assembly and humans cannot do it.

It looks like the diagram with the short wires is only to show connections. It does not advocate using wires on the circuit board mounting.

If you are in great need of using this chip, how about making some side metal fingers by soldering them to the pads with the chip up side down and then have the board pads outside the outline of the chip and solder the other end of the metal fingers to the pads.

As for the previous question, most contract assembly places have the tools for this sort of soldering. Times are tight now and they should consider small jobs because they have the excess capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back