Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD-2 error: Invalid target device id (expected=0xD4, read=0x0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasser_shoukry

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello all

i am using a pic 18f4580 with the icd2, and i am putting it in a circuit powered by 5 v regulated supply and the MCU and 16 MHZ crystal and led.

when i connect the icd2 to the mplab (in either programmer or debugger mode , i get the following error :ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0xD4, read=0x0), i always get validation error, such that every expected variables is read as zeros, which prohibit debugging and programmin).

i tried to program the MCU with a program to turn on the led (using another programmer). and then place the MCU in the debugging crcuit again so the led is on and after connecting the icd2 it is off (mclr is down) then in mplab when i choose the programmer settings to release from reset mode, the led lights again (all i want to tll is that all tests of the connection from the icd2 to MCU is good), so what is the problem , why he reads anything as zero.

Thanks in advance

ICD-2 Problem

I have a similar problem with my ICD2, after changing the serial resistors 330 ohm to 100 ohm the problem was gone.

Re: ICD-2 Problem

Hi

Please check

see the results on self check,is all test passed?

see the connections on PGC and PGD ,any pull ups or any loads on that line?

is there any large decoupling capacitors on MCLR?

stay in programmer mode until you get valid id , then to debugg mode.

If not ok in debugg, check crystal.

make sure PGC and PGD pins are not reversed :)D )

all the best

picstudent

Picstudent said:

There should be no caps of any sort on MCLR when using ICP

I had students with 10uf on MCLR and of course it failed any attempt at programming / debugging whatever. No caps period, you don't need them on MCLR. You DO need caps 0.1 near the power & gnd pins on the PIC and any other digital IC.

Picstudent said:
Hi

Please check

see the results on self check,is all test passed?

see the connections on PGC and PGD ,any pull ups or any loads on that line?

stay in programmer mode until you get valid id , then to debugg mode.

If not ok in debugg, check crystal.

make sure PGC and PGD pins are not reversed :)D )

all the best

picstudent

Thanks al ot for your reply,
As an answer to your questions:
1- yes, it passes all self test
2-PGC,PGD connections are all identical to that in the manual
3-no caps at MCLR at all

Hpwever when i tried to power the circuit from the ICD-2, it goes well, but when i my circuit is self powered, the same problem occurs:cry:

Does anybody know why?

blueroomelectronics said:
I had students with 10uf on MCLR and of course it failed any attempt at programming / debugging whatever. No caps period, you don't need them on MCLR. You DO need caps 0.1 near the power & gnd pins on the PIC and any other digital IC.

No need of capacitors on MCLR while debugging or programming, agreed.
But, On working prototype I had somany bad experiences by removing the capacitor from MCLR.
for example, if you are driving an inductive load like contactor, it will produce unwatned noise and cause the PIC reset itself.

ICD-2 Problem

I met this problem many many times when I learned PIC two years ago.I think your mpu's connection is't right.Please try to get a board placing only one PIC and connect PIC to ICD2.

Status
Not open for further replies.