Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where is the gbr file when al Gerber file is created in Protel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-goe

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My problem: In Protel you can create a Gerber file of your PCB.
Now I have a program (i.e GerbMagic) which translates this in a PDF. But GerbMagic asks for an .gbr file .

Normally Protel should save the Gerber file into an .gbr file but I can not find it in my project. Instead I see lots of seperate file but no .gbr file

What am i doing wrong?

Greetz E-goe

protel gerber .g1

Gerber data consists of one file for each separate layer and (depending on the dialect) one aperture file. Drill data is also in a separate file and so is the drill tool definition. CAM tools such as gerbtool and cam350 do have their own file format where all pcb info is stuffed in 1 file instead of multiple files. But all CAM tools can import gerber files and drill data, so maybe you have to rename the file extensions of your protel output. But maybe it is easier and your tool has an import function that works regardless of the file extension.

Re: P*otel Gerber

E-goe said:
My problem: In P*otel you can create a Gerber file of your PCB.
Now I have a program (i.e GerbMagic) which translates this in a PDF. But GerbMagic asks for an .gbr file .

Normally P*otel should save the Gerber file into an .gbr file but I can not find it in my project. Instead I see lots of seperate file but no .gbr file

What am i doing wrong?

Greetz E-goe

1. you do not mention which version of protel you use so I cannot make an accurate answer.

2. Protel V3 and onwards can print PDF directly as PDF writer can be installed as a windows printer.

3. The gerber extensions in Protel follow sequence like this

.gtl gerber top layer
.gbl gerber bottom layer
.gts gerber top solder mask
.gto gerber top overlay

and so on.

The part before the period and extension name is the project name.

so you would see something like this

myproject.gtl
myproject.gbl
myproject.gts
myproject.gto

Hope this makes sense.

:R

use Cam350 + PDF factory software .............

Gerbm@gic does not require that the files be of the type .gbr. When you use the 'open' or 'import' commands from the drop-down menu, you can choose 'files of type > all files'. You will see the PR0TEL extensions .gtl, .gbl, .g1, .gp1, etc. You can select those files, and they will open just fine in Gerberm@gic - I just tried it to make sure it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back