Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bitmaps only show correctly in 8x8 font width on T6963 LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkwolf

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
8x8 font

I can generate and load bitmap images from eeprom only when my T6963 based LCD (optrex DMF5001) is configured for an 8x8 font width.

I really want a 6x8 font in order to get more characters per line.

Is it possible to make these bitmap uploads work properly with a 6x8 font width?

I suppose I could write a utility to reformat the BMP file to 6-bit "bytes" but I'm reluctant to do so until I have to.

Thanks for any advice.

t6963c fonts

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking? If your original bitmaps use up all 8x8 pixels, then display those on a 6x8 would cut off 2 columns of pixels. So the only solution would be to change all the bitmaps to 6x8.

If however..your 'stored' bitmaps on eeprom are arranged consecutively, that is, the first 8 bytes is your first bitmap, the next 8 bytes are the second etc.. then you can still display those, but each bitmap would fill up a 6x8 slot and use the next two columns of the next one.

I believe (from memory) the format, 6x8 or 8x8 only matters with regard to the character rom. If you are displaying graphics, bitmaps (which may or may not be text) then the T6963 doesn't care, you are just providing bytes, which it will display, one by one. That also includes 'custom characters'. If you character are all 8x8 format, and you want to load them into the character rom so you only need to send one byte to display, then you will have to completely change theformat orf the characters.

By the sounds of it, you're working in 'graphics mode', you can still draw custom characters from your eeprom on screen, but you would have to display them graphically, that is, 8 bytes per character, rather than loading them into the character rom.

Am I making sense? I only started looking into getting myt6963 display up and running today...

Buriedcode.

Update: just read the datasheet, scrub the above:

quote: '....Note: In the case of the Graphics Area with 6x8 font size selected, the most significant bits D6 and D7 of graphics data are ignored, and not displayed on the LCD screen....' bummer.

draw bitmap t6963c

Hi Buriedcode

Yes, the problem is that te two upper most bits get discarded if your'e jumpered for 6x8 pixel mode.

I actually found a bitmap conversion utility on the web that will take an 8x8-pixel graphic bitmap, and covert it to 6x8-pixel format. It's in French, so navigating the menus is a little TENSE, but it works great, and generates hex files in many different formats for inclusion in your programs.

It's called Big_LCD. Google for it.

font arabic 8x8

Oo, good man. Seeing as how I've just fired up my first t6963C (my god its beautiful!) that utility will come in very handy. Thanks man, and good luck!

Buriedcode

lcd bitmap font

Is there any method to select 8X8 mode in software. I dont know which jumper the wire. The LCD is too fine soldered to fiddle with.

bitmap pixel utility

please can you upload this software (BIG_LCD) i can't reach it
or put the download link
thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.