Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the pros and cons of having a dedicated S/H stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyy95120

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I found that in many pipeline ADC designs, a S/H stage is included (vin-->S/H-->stage 1-->stage 2...), however, in other designs, S/H was included in the 1st stage. (vin-->stage1-->stage2...)

What are the pros and cons about having a dedicated S/H stage?

Thanks!

S/H in pipeline ADC

Without front_end S/H block, that would contribute to aperture errors.
There are S/H capacitors in stage1, but it can't guarantee the sub-ADC's sample same as MDAC's sample.
in other word: Vin must go to two blocks in every stage, if without front_end S/H block, the Vin is variable.

Added after 7 minutes:

It will be save power and die size if absence of front_end S/H block. You can modify the timing in stage1 to reduce the aperture errors as without FE S/H block.
You can reference IEEE paper:
"A 55-mW, 10-bit, 40-Msample/s Nyquist-Rate CMOS ADC" by Iuri Mehr and Larry Singer March 2000 Solid-state Circuits IEEE.

hyy95120

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
S/H in pipeline ADC

thank you!
Does it mean, if I sacrifice speed and go for a large Cin and longer sampling time, I'll be fine without a S/H block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back