Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many address lines will a 2k memory have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjwal verma

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
address lines

can anyone tell me how many address line will a 2k memory have

Re: address lines

That depends on number of data lines you have. For a single bit data line you may need 11 address lines.

Added after 2 minutes:

For a 8-bit system u may need 8 address lines...

Added after 2 minutes:

For a 8-bit system u may need 8 address lines...

i dont think the address lines depend on the data lines it is irrespective of the data line it is solely dependant on the memory size...i think for 2k size memory irrespective od the data line it takes 11lines to access the location .....

can u pls explain how ur logic what u have posted ............

address lines

2K = 2048 = 2^11. You will need 11 adress lines. If you don't believe me, just look at a 2K (non-serial) memory chip. It will have 11 address lines.

ya i completely agree with u sir......its correct...

address lines

Assuming the memory is 8-bits wide, such as a 2K x 8.

You can compute it very quickly with a calculator:
log(2048) / log(2) = 11

So the equation is:
log(memory-size) / log(2)

Its 11 address lines if its going to be 8-bit wide. If its going to be 16-bits wide, it will be 10 address lines.. If 32-bit, 9 address lines.......

Hi,

It is very simple. To represent 2 power N locations, you need N number of address lines.

If you need more information, contact me.

Regards,

N.Muralidhara

Its 11 address lines if its going to be 8-bit wide. If its going to be 16-bits wide, it will be 10 address lines.. If 32-bit, 9 address lines.......

How did you get 10 lines if it's 16-bits wide and 9 lines if it's 32-bits wide?

i think its not correct that if data line is 16 bit wide it requre only 10 address line.
the 11 address line only indicating that we can access 2^11 locations and the data may be 8 bit or 16 whatever way arranged in that chip plz correct me if i am wrong

yes sir u r write because we hv relation

2^n=memory(byte)
here it denotes n as address lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back