Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

slow to fast clock domain .... is an asynch. fifo needed ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

subramanyam

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hii ,

Is it really needed a FIFO while synchronizing a slow clock to a fast clock ??If it is fast to slow u should have a FIFO as we have to store the data. What about slow to fast case ?? As any way there is no need to have more than 1 or 2 locations in the FIFO as fast clock can read data immediately . What is the approach usually they follow in the industry??

I am a lot confused regarding this slow to fast and fast to slow clock domains and plz don't make me to furthur confuse by just posting to make points . I request
people who is having experience on this or who has really worked on this to post the reply.

best regards,
subbu.

What do you mean with fast and slow clocks?
Do they have the same frequency - just phase shift?

Re: slow to fast clock domain .... is an asynch. fifo needed

I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly ? already do you have a synchronizer in place or you asking how to supress the glitches etc

u still need syncronizer as ur data will be active for more than 1 clock cycle in fast clock domain.u need some sort of synchronizer which works on edge detection. U need to check for both the rising edge and the duration .

subramanyam said:
Hii ,

Is it really needed a FIFO while synchronizing a slow clock to a fast clock ??If it is fast to slow u should have a FIFO as we have to store the data. What about slow to fast case ?? As any way there is no need to have more than 1 or 2 locations in the FIFO as fast clock can read data immediately . What is the approach usually they follow in the industry??

I am a lot confused regarding this slow to fast and fast to slow clock domains and plz don't make me to furthur confuse by just posting to make points . I request
people who is having experience on this or who has really worked on this to post the reply.

best regards,
subbu.

In the case that you described you don't need any FIFO.
But
You should make two important things:
1. Synchronize the data from slow-rate domain by TWO flip-flops.
2. You should take care for the control signal such as WR to be widened in order to match the rates of the slow-rate domain.

that's all.

Hi

for synchornising data from Slow to Fast you dnt need a fifo... data can be synchoronised using 2 ff clked by fast clk.. control signals also can be done in the same manner....

there is a lot of material on this in this and fpga forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back