Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to polarize unused input pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrus

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It states in the datasheet of the micro that I'm using for a project that all unused inputs for port 0 must be polarized to VDD or VSS to avoid parasitic current consumption. What exactly does this mean and how do I do it? And yes, I am a newbie :D

Re: Polarized Input Pins

I don't know what IC you will use...

But in some circuits i have used resistors of 10k and conect this to a ground(Vss) or Vdd(source)

Input stages in microprocessors (and other digital IC's) consume more power when the input voltage is outside of definied digital levels which are close to Vss (ground) or Vdd (supply voltage).

For example, logical 0 may correspond to voltage in the range of 0..0.8V. Depending on the part you are using and type of input, logical levels may be also expressed in parts of the supply voltage, like, low level: Vin=0..0,2Vdd, high level: Vin=0,8..1Vdd. Signal in 0,2..0,8Vdd range is then unspecified (neither logical 0, nor 1). Input stages are optimized to work with defined logical levels. In the 'undefined' range internal switching transistors on both high side and low side conduct some current thus forming a path from Vdd to ground which leads to increased power consumption.

To avoid this, all unused inputs should be connected to ground or Vdd through a resistor (ussualy of the order of 10-100kOhms).

Petrus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanx, now I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.