Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PRIORITY ENCODER.........what does this do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guru59

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.....

i would like to know what PRIORITY ENCODER does....?

what is the advantage of it....?

where it is mainly used..?

thanks.....

Priority encoder is like doing this:

if (condition 1) then
do the most important thing
else if (condition 2) then
do another thing
else if(condition n) then
do the less important thing
end if

A 4-bit priority encoder (also sometimes called a priority decoder). This circuit basically converts the 4-bit input into a binary representation. If the input n is active, all lower inputs (n-1 .. 0) are ignored:

x3 x2 x1 x0 y1 y0
------------------
1 X X X 1 1
0 1 X X 1 0
0 0 1 X 0 1
0 0 0 X 0 0

priority encoders are commonly for interrupt controllers, to select the most critical out of multiple interrupt requests.

Thanks for that SALMA..........

but can you be more Specific abt what exactly and where exactly it is used.........

thanks....

Hi,

Imagine you have a microprocessor with only one external INT. Now you want to handle several external INT, so you put all your INT on the priority encoder inputs and through an OR gate to the µP INT pin.
When an INT occur, you just read the output of the priority encoder in order to know with INT is active.

I hope I have been clear.

Regards.
Franck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back