Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery tester(measure the internal resistance of a battery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizpic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I am thinking of designing and building a battery analyzer by measuring the internal resistance of the battery, The batteries are 6V and 250AH, and i want to use a PIC nd a LCD/GLCD to show data and battery voltage and may be temperature (internal)

I have hhave done plenty of searching on google but can not find what i am after,

Does any one know where i can find the info i.e schematics and stuff like that so i can make a start
OR how does one measure the internal reistance of a battery becuase a multimeter will not do this,

any help or info wold be nice

cheers

wizpic

Re: Battery tester(measure the internal resistance of a batt

Take a look at:
"Rapid-testing of batteries"
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

DC load test.
The DC load test measures the battery's internal resistance by reading the voltage drops of two loads of different strength. A large drop indicates high resistance.

Thanks for that, I have read it and it has give me some mor info

I woudl like to know of a circuit or a way to test the internal resistance of the battery as far has i understand it you have to send very quick sharp pulse to the battery to discharge it and then take some voltage mesaurements and then you can work out the internal resistance of the battery :?:

if some one can point me in the right direction i woud be thankfull

cheers

wizpic

Thanks Ian that was a good starting point cheers
I have been doing a lot of reading, I have now got me a working circuit (sort of) carried out some tests and i need now to figure out what to do next

I want to use a pic to display the readings which is no problem with codiing but my signal i have got is -50mv AC, i have tried to use a bridge rectifier then boost the signal but doe nto seem to work,

How can i convert the AC millivolts in to dc and boost it to 0-5v so then i can do my calculations

any ideas ?

wicpic

To rectify such small signals you have to use an "active" rectifier, and an opamp-based peak detector can be a good candidate for this job .. see picture below ..
Then add another opamp-based stage which will scale and amplify this dc signal to 0-5V ..

Regards,
IanP

Thanks Ian

I will look into this over the weekend if i get time with it been crimbo i the usaul runs to do before christmas

Well once again thanks for your help and have a good christams and a happy new year

wizpic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back