Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Design a mosfet driver for my 500VA/1000VA inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n_huda2006

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
irf3205 inverter

hi,

how do i calculate the number of mosfets for 500VA/1000VA load and the specification
of mosfet? pls help me!!

mosfet driver design

hi
For 500Va at 12v Dc input tryb IRFZ44N 3nos to 4NOS EACH ON EACH PUSH PULL LIMB.
For 1000Watt try IRF3710 5nos eaCH ON EACH PUCH PULL LIMB.

THANKS
hmn

best mosfet driver

thank u very much harimelath!
now i need to know the formula to calculate the power vs. number fo mosfets to be used for my drive?

n_huda
KUET
Bangladesh

mosfet driver switching frequency

Can you post your schematics?

mosfet failures inverters

you can easily get six 600V rated mosfets that are rated for 30A. this is what you need as a minimum.

a good rule of thumb is to figure out how much space you have available and just fill it with the biggest die you can fit and use max copper pours (not traces) for power carying tracks.

at these power levels you most important part is layout. you MUST minimize capacitive coupling and inductive loops. this means NO traces sneak into a gate drive area that come from outside circuit. this includes all the area under the gate drive (for multi layer boards).

not easy at this power level because now you must concern yourself with power dissipation of DC capacitors (yes.. it is true) and EMI conducted/radiated emissions.

good luck,
Mr.Cool

Added after 1 minutes:

by the way, in this power range there is no functional advantage to mosfet or igbt.. they are about the same.

but given this, i choose IGBT because it has a friendlier failure mode (fails open)

Mr.Cool

inverter circuit 500va design

Basic Requirement for design as as follows:

Consider the DC voltage of operation. Say For example 12V, The peak voltage that can be availabe across the mosfets is 30V, so safely consider a mosfet of 50V Vds. remenber that Lower the Vds better is the Rds and hence the losses in the MOSFET.
the losses in the msofet can be calculated ny OHMs law and considering the Rds vave and the peak current thru the mosfets.
Good Mosfets are IRF3205. IRF3710, IRF2807 Etc with very low Rds.

Depending on the frequency of switching you alos need to consider a good anf fast mosfet driver, IR2110 or MIC4427 can be used for better result. Ensure that the mosfet driver has as good energy storage capacitor with low ESR as close to the device as possible for best operation. The drive output track length from IC to MOSFET gate should be as short as possible.
Should you need any more assistance, please post your quiry. it would be better you post your schematic.

I do not recommend any 600V nosfet for 1000VA application, However if you are doing a DC TO Dc Converter metohd for the inveter , may consider 600V mosfet in output bridge.

HMN

1000va inverter

If your MOSFET switching frequency is 50Hz/60Hz, you may not require any driver IC. Consider MOSFET gate as a capacitor(see the data sheet of selected component). The required gate charge current is proportional to switching frequency. May be the PWM IC such as UC3525 can drive directly the MOSFETs at 50Hz. The switching losses are negligible at low frequency for 500W/1000W power level. In high frequency Inverter design, (say >20KHz PWM) driver is required to minimise switching losses.
Please add over current shudown protection to avoid MOSFET failures.
J.T.Rao
Digitek Power Solutions
Hyderabad

designing of mosfet driver

Hi,

Do you want a ready IC for driving the MOSFETS or will any analog circuitry with proper protection will do? If you need the analog circuitry model, I have a reday reference, which can be shared. Provide me your e-mail id

mosfet inverter using mosfet driver ic

devura said:
Hi,

Do you want a ready IC for driving the MOSFETS or will any analog circuitry with proper protection will do? If you need the analog circuitry model, I have a reday reference, which can be shared. Provide me your e-mail id

Would you please post it here?

Reactions: chalat

chalat

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
irf3205 in inverter

there are lots of off the shelf solutions from IXYS for example. infineon has some good ones. STmicro has a good integrated circuit for the power range you are operating in, part number TD351 (or family). if you can by a driver that suits your needs you'll be much better off. focus your energy on the stuff that there is no solution yet.

Mr.Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back