Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using ULN2003 to drive a bipolar stepper motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
irf640 stepping motor

Hi all,
I,ve built this nice circuit found in Silicon Chip magazine to test my bipolar stepper motor collections. Easy to built and works perfectly.

pin detail of uln2003 chip

Sorry, its for Unipolar stepper motor actually...still using it till now.

uln2803 bipolar stepper pic16f690

I have a good and bad news

It works but it cost my THREE microcontroller chip AT89C52 as I have tried to upload the code but it wouldn't let me because of Pin 9 problem after running with an unipolar stepper motor. However both still work but they cannot be reprogrammed anymore.

The stepper motor get very warm and how can i prevent it getting too hot?

Look forward to hear your suggestion

Thank you

MM

uln2003 buffer .pdf

Should I use zener diode to protect my microcontroller chip? Anymore?

MM

Added after 1 hours 39 minutes:

I suspect that stepper motor was drawing high current which cause damage on my AT89C51 chip. Does anyone agree with me?

MM

use of uln2003 without microcontroler

If you wired everything correctly, then there should not have been any problems. The ULN2003 cannot damage the micro, it simply has 2 transistors inside (per channel).
I suppose that if the ULN2003 failed in such a way as to short the inputs to one of the outputs, then it could have damaged the micro.
But you do not need any Zener diode on the micro.

stepper motor controller buffer driver ic uln2003

Hi,
Here is ur solution. Connect the motor as shown in schematic. No Doubts it will work and no issue. If any issues let me know.
Thanks

Maverickmax

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
jameco uln2003

I have finally made it work without any problem.

Now I have tried to use a similar unipolar stepper motor such as 30BYJ02AH which can operates at 12V and its resistance is 200 Ohm.

Here is a datasheet link:

**broken link removed**

I did exactly the same connection and gave it a run such as following the similar sequence as shown below:

To my surprise, it doesn't move at all but could only feel it clicking. I have tried second stepper motor and i got the same result. Does it means they are damaged?

MM

Gear Ratio : 25-1 - ???

stepper motor uln2003a

Hello,
Try Data in these patterns also

Pattern 1:

Pattern 2:

Pattern 3:

Pattern 4:

If all these r not working then OUT data as 0000 and try to turn the motor with ur fingers, Let me know the result.
Thanks

Reactions: kahtan

kahtan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
stepper moter interfacing with uln2003,pdf

Greeting guys

I have forgotten to inform you that I got them working as I swapped the wires. The data sheet seems to be incorrect. I was over the moon. My next challenge is to control the stepper motor with precision angle. Does anyone know anything about it? Is anywhere in this forum or outside will help me to have preicison control with my motor?

I am puzzled with my sequence such as 1000, 0100 0010, 0001 because I expect it to complete one revolution but my stepper motor (30BYJ02AH) turn ages to complete one revolution. I admit I don't know anything about gear ratio (75 - 1) so i presume it is one of the reason that it moves slowly. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you for input so far

MM

chip uln2003

hi
this my project "stepper motor control"
thanks

uln2003 connection for interfacing,pdf

Suggestion to all , it is better to use the uln2804 in place of 2003 and make a pair of two for better result in terms of current and etc.

uln2003,bipolar stepper motor

Indeed, I have already placed ULN2803 instead of ULN2003 in order to control two stepper motors. It works well but I need to control with high precision. Any tutorials on that stuff?

Look forward to hear from you asap

MM

uln2003 + l298

What do you mean with "high precision"?

uln2003 ile bipolar motor

Let say I want to move the stepper motor at approximately 30, 45, 90, 180 degree.

This kind of stuff I need to know how to do it

Thank you

MM

source code uln2003

You need to know how many steps are required for a 360° turn with your motor

For example there are motor with 100 steps or 200 steps for 360° or other values

Then you can calculate the steps required for your application

uln2003 characteristics

hi

i am sending the circuit diagram MOSFET based u can drive heavy stepper

66_1166370356.JPG

internal diagram of uln2003 current buffer

roykyn said:
it all depends on the current drawn by the motor ..... it its high......ic will get damaged....better use transistors in darlington mode or evem mosfets like irf640,540, or tip144

8051 uln2003

Frnds why exactly 7 darlington pairs are used in ULN2003?and wat about the configuration?

uln2003 using bipolar stepper motor

Hello, i have taken out small DC motor out of toy, it looks like this one:
DC_simple2.jpg

problem is i dont know its characteristics? how can i know it?

another question is, do i need to use ULN 2003A for controlling it using PIC16?

if no, then what should i place between this motor and PORTB pins? should i place resistor?

can i control its speed with PWM?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back