Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the best configuration for microstrip 20 GHz filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwmmboy

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microstrip 20 GHz filter

Hi all,
what is in your opinion the best configuration choice to design a 20 GHz band pass filter on microstrip or stripline.

Tx and bye.

Re: microstrip 20 GHz filter

I suggest you to design 20GHz filter using LTCC substrate (stripline). You can choose green tape (er=7.8) or RNE-40 (er=41.77) for your applications

use stripline & ADS to simulate the BPF

It is not possible to answer this question without knowing your requirements. For example, a microstrip filter might be easier to manufacture (only one substrate), but will be larger and will have a poorer high frequency rejection. More details are required.

Also, there are several EDA tools that will work well for doing your design, not just one.

Thanks to all..
my filter should be a microstrip filter, 500 MHxz to 1 GHz bandwidht, and highest rejection at 1 GHz below the lowest corner. I don't have access to allumina or LTCC technology.

Tx.

I would be quite suprised if an LTCC filter could work well at 20GHz, since the metalized inks will be lossy (low q) and the dimensional tolerances after firing will not be good enough for a 20 GHz design.

Do you guys have actual experience with LTCC working up there? If so give more details please.

In the manufacture of microstrip,what are the methods applied to remove copper cladding?

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Does the thickness of the microstrip lines causes any influences while designing microstrip low pass filters

Does the thickness of the microstrip lines causes any influences while designing microstrip low pass filters
Very little. I always ignore the thickness. Just set in AWR the copper thickness, and that's OK.

I would think cavity filter would be easier to make and tune, and the performance would also be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.