Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

You should use Cyclone (Altera).

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRD

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Cyclone FPGAs are the first FPGAs to support decompression of
configuration data. This feature allows you to store compressed
configuration data in configuration devices or other memory, and
transmit this compressed bit stream to Cyclone FPGAs. During
configuration, the Cyclone FPGA decompresses the bit stream in real time
and programs its SRAM cells.

does cyclone have PQFP package?

When can we use it?
What is its largest one in this series?

What about the quotation for small quantity of cyclone FPGA?

Hello!

Why we should use devices that aren't available on the market?

Xilinxs support is much more useful as @ltera, you will find out that when you have a problem with your application and you will change your mind.

Yes Cyclone devices have features that are interesting and it is low cost solution, but wait for Spartan III.

Bart

Cyclone - what a disaster

Let me tell our story...

At our company we used Acex devices before Cyclone was announced. Then, guys from Altera convinced us to go for Cyclone, because this will be a very cost effective solution.

Then, we decidet to redesign our board and we have been waitnig for Cyclone for about 3 months over its estimated release date. now, this tornado...oupsss Cyclone is avaible but its price is 3 TIMES higher that the price promised us !!!!!!!!! Offcourse we went back on Acex, but what is happening now ??? Guys from Altera are increasing the prices for Acex devices and they are pushing us to choose Cyclone...Hey...who here is the vendor and whoi is the customer ? Who will decide whic chip to use Altera or Me !! Are we mad ?

At least we have learned our lesson. Our next board will have an Xilinx on it !!

Adios

Re: Cyclone - what a disaster

Can't belive! Engineer has no time to play this type game with the vendor.
After read this story, I will still use Xilinx.

the guy is from altera or altera'Distributor ??

sometimes Distributor was more dislikeable than vendor

I think the price of cyclone or acex should be decided by altera not their distibutor.

I think the distributor is playing some dirty game here, should inform @ltera about this.

Price ??? Distributor hehheheh

Another interesting thing...

Belive me or not, Altera is directing prices. The distributor just can't do anything. Belive me I have seen it with my eyes !!

I will not mention this distributor (you can guess there are only few big in Europe) but when I ask for a price the mentioned distributor has to wait about 3 days to get the priuce from Altera. And the prices are very high. I just cant understand the price politics of Altera.

Regards,
Mark

4 ever @ltera !

**broken link removed**

Bart

We are speaking about the prices.
Here are the actual consumer prices from my distributor (with tax):

EP1C3T100C8 17.56$
EP1C3T100C7 24.62$
EP1C3T100C6 35.12$
EP1C3T144C8 20.07$
EP1C3T144C7 28.07$
EP1C3T144C6 40.14$

EP1C6T144C8 32.61$
EP1C6T144C7 45.63$
EP1C6T144C6 65.23$
EP1C6Q240C8 35.12$
EP1C6Q240C7 49.24$
EP1C6Q240C6 70.25$
EP1C6F256C8 40.14$
EP1C6F256C7 56.13$
EP1C6F256C6 80.28$

It's expensive or not?

Re: Cyclone - what a disaster

fe64970103 said:
Let me tell our story...

At our company we used Acex devices before Cyclone was announced. Then, guys from @ltera convinced us to go for Cyclone, because this will be a very cost effective solution.

Then, we decidet to redesign our board and we have been waitnig for Cyclone for about 3 months over its estimated release date. now, this tornado...oupsss Cyclone is avaible but its price is 3 TIMES higher that the price promised us !!!!!!!!! Offcourse we went back on Acex, but what is happening now ??? Guys from @ltera are increasing the prices for Acex devices and they are pushing us to choose Cyclone...Hey...who here is the vendor and whoi is the customer ? Who will decide whic chip to use @ltera or Me !! Are we mad ?

At least we have learned our lesson. Our next board will have an Xilinx on it !!

Adios

Don't expect too much from Xilinx... I had a similar experience. To steal the deal from Altera, Xilinx promised me a cheaper device. I changed my design to Xilinx. On the last day, Xilinx told me the promised device was not really available. I had to change back to Altera. I lost days of work...

F... Xilinx... Thank you Altera!

Cyclone
Spartan-III
which is avaliable NOW?

cyclone device is available and in production.

SpatanIII probably have not been taped out yet.

You should use Cyclone (@ltera).

xilinx's tools is too bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.