Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Cadence simulations are so slow under Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoweek

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
too too slow

hi,
my problem with linux is related to Cadence.... the simulations are too too slow...though i don't have anything installed on linux except for Cadence... i have 896 Mbytes of RAM ..... and my processor is P4 2.8 GHz.... my swap drive is 2 Gbytes.... so, i think everything is quite right !!

so, any help??

by the way, i mean that it is too slow even for light simulations...

Re: too too slow

what is ur simualtion and how much time does it takes ?

could u tell us exactly what the DMA mode does to speed up the simulation,thanks

too too slow

DMA mode is Direct Memory Access. It allows for faster data transfer speeds between the IDE hard disk controller and main system memory. Turning this feature on may speed up the simulation of there is a lot of disk access.
The best solution I found to slow disk subsystems is to use SCSI disks.

I alse suffer the speed problem.

Are you sure your network card is already working well?

Try to check your kernel. If you are using a binary version provided by the installation suit, try to compile a fresh one.

In RedHat clones compiling fresh optimized kernel used to speed up the systems. Slower disk access may be also one of the problems. If you have a drive works with something below UDMA 33 try to enhance it.

May be just try to use another simulation programs? For example, **broken link removed** under Linux works very fast and accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.