Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enameled wire- how to strip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdin

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
enamel wire stripping

Hi,my question is very simple.
How to remove the coating from an enameled copper wire?
I have to do this for hundreds of wires and hope there's a way easier than scratching with a knife or burning and scratching.I tried with the most powerful solvent I found...and nothing,of course :)
There must be a proper solvent,I am sure.What should I look for?
Thanks in advance!

stripping enamel wire

I think that any chemical which can remove enamel will require health and safety precautions.

A search with google suggests formic acid based paint stripper, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, suphuric acid or nitric acid.

how to strip enamel wire

I had to do the same sort of thing with solar panels that where lacered on one side (over 100). I used a enviromentaly frendly paint stripper bought from CPC components England

Barrybear

strip enamel wire

Try soldering with aspirin. Some guys suggesting it . Of course it is acid and is not healthy way to do .

how to strip enameled wire

Hi,

I would avoid aspirin if possible.

When heated, the vapours given off contain all the chemicals in the tablet, and obviously 'acetylsalicylic acid'. In a fairly pure form, its an excellent poison. It absorbs through the skin easily, and is generally something that should be avoided.
I realise that tablets contain a very small amount of this, but doing it many times, with the vapours being far more pure than contained in the tablet, I wouldn't.

Saying that, I 'have' tried this, outside, and it didn't seem anymore effective than running the enamelled wire over a hot flame and wiping with a damp rag. Also, soldering with extra flux seems to work well, the iron burns the enamel, and the flux takes it off the wire. Also tin's the wire for easy soldering later.

Buriedcode.

enameled wire

Just to report what I did.
I couldn't find any of these paint removers.All of the ones I found were based on methylene chloride and it definitely doesn't work!
So I resorted to the burn-and-scratch method.I took me less time than expected (I used iron wool) and the result was satisfying.

howto strip coating copper wire

I use lighter (liquid gas) when working with fiberglass based isolation . But may be better to try alchogol based fire - it should be pure than gas .

i am interjecting because i am sure i know how to answer this one but i have not the resources to try it out and it has been a problem many times.
there is such a tool as a "soldering pot" which is completely enviro unfriendly and i couldn't tell you how much ventilation is required...
look it up on an image search first to link useful data is how i do that sort of thing.
it looks like a small metal cylinder atop a short stalk and base... it maintains an adjustable temperature to keep about a centimeter deep's worth of solder liquid... for repeatedly dipping in wiretip after wiretip, or tinning a large number of components that have all been bent and trimmed to fit the circuitboard.
really only efficient under such circumstances, so i never went out and got one, but i have used one, and - darnit - not on enamelled copper wire tips... but my bet is that _could_ do it. anyway, blah blah blah yak yak yak i'll probably forget i've been here... hope to have been of help.

Re: strip enamel wire

There is a company IECCO which manufactures chemicals to remove enamel strip on wire. I have used it and it works really good.

There are at least three different types of insulation used on " enamaled" wire. The best is "bicelflux", which is self fluxing and burns of when soldering (available in different colours). There is the old fashioned enamel (dark brown), needs a little bit of enamel scraped of the provide a heat conducting area then solder with excess flux (or pre-tin in a SOLDER POT). Then there is the modern type (can't remember it's name) - orange in colour, needs either to be mechanically removed with emery paper or special machine or burned off with a spirit burner (watch your tie!!! :) )
Frank

You can also use a molten salt bath to remove the enamel. There is a commercial manufacturer that used to sell one. I have used a mixture of sodium nitrate (NaNO3) and KOH or NaOH in a ratio of 1:4 at about 290 to 300°C. The attached picture is of the device I used. The drilled reservoir is any convenient size. Mine was about 1.5 cm in diameter. The smaller hole is for a thermocouple. The material is any steel alloy. I put the block on an electric stove to control the temperature. At the proper temperature, there will be fizzing as soon as you put the wire into the melted salts. Therefore, don't fill the reservoir to the very top. KOH or NaOH will work by themselves but much more slowly. Several seconds later, remove the wire and immediately rinse in water. The copper will be bare, but rapidly darkens. That did not affect soldering. I have used it for up to 14 awg wire. Its real advantage is with fine wire that is hard to scrape mechanically. As far as I know, it will remove all common magnet wire coatings. Teflon will be resistant.

87_1327776616.jpg

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back