Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to supply the XR8038 with 20mA or less ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drudi

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xr8038 circuit

I recently bought a an XR8038 sinal generator chip. In my enthusiasm to get it running I over-looked the Max current rating of 20mA and applied a plug in the wall 9V 200mA supply. Needless to say it was well and truly cooked. What is the best method, circuit, to supply the 8038 with 20mA or less. It/s Voltage supply is +-15 V

xr8038 output

The supply voltage of XR8038 is 10 to 30V (single) or +/-5 to +/-15V (dual) ..
If connected correctly, this IC will draw ≈10-15mA (data sheet says the max current is 20mA) and you don't need to warry about it - ICs draw as much current as they need ..
I'd suspect that you connected the supply voltage the other way around: + to - and - to + (reversed), or voltage was fed to wrong pins or something like that ..

In the future, you should consider construction of a "proper" laboratory power supply that will give you control over the output voltage (5-30V) and current (0-1A or more) .. and obviously make sure that all connections are correct ..

Keep in mind, a mine defuser makes only one mistake !!!

Regards,
IanP

xr8038

Dear IanP Thanks for the advice I will be less cavalier next time!

xr-8038

i have designed a boost converter ramp with 8038 and i supply it with around 16v to give me a ramp of 5v. the ic did draw as much current as it needs and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.