Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM, EDGE, WCDMA, GPRS, HSDPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyne

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gprs wcdma hsdpa

What are the main differences betwenn GSM, EDGE, GPRS, WCDMA and HSDPA?

Looks like Edge exists in GSM while HSDPA exists with WCDMA. What about GPRS?

gprs hsdpa

We can say GSM system (Global System for Mobile Communications) is second genaration of Mobile communication, It can support Voice telephony and Data. But the Data rate is only 9.6Kb/s, that is realy low bit rate for date communication.

in phase 2+ of GSM networking, GPRS offered higer bita rate ( Up to 171kb/s) by usage of A packet-linked technology. For changing the GSM network to GPRS network you have to add several node same as GGSN, SGSN and PCU.

we can say EDGE is a advanced standard for wireless communication (next step up from GPRS) and a way for increasing data rate up to 384kb/s.

any way HSDPA is new technology in WCDMA network for increasing Data rate.

If these are not enough, dont hesitate to ask me.

wcdma gprs

1- GSM: 2G Europian standard and the first digital mobile system. It offers only circuit-switched traffic (i.e voice calls, SMS...etc) and data transfer at very low bitrates 9.6kbps.

2- GPRS: also reffered to as phase 2+. It offered packet-switched traffic with new network components integrated over the existant GSM core network. This allowed data bitrates to increase to 171kbps. It is also considered as the first step towards 3G networks.

3- EDGE: It was made to cover the delay of delivery of 3G/UMTS network. It supported data rates upto 384kbps.

4- UMTS: the first 3G Europian standard network. It is the optimal solution for GSM operators to support 3G services. The Air interface technique used for this network is WCDMA. This technique allowed data rates to reach 2Mbps.

5- HSDPA: It is actually a software upgrade to the UMTS network using the same air interface technique used in UMTS (WCDMA) and supporting data rates upto 10Mbps.

hope this data is useful.

wcdma and hsdpa

Why is it that phone still support GSM/DCS/PCS when it has edge? Which one is use for making phone call?

Do we use actually use GPRS and edge for making voice call? or still the traditional GSM 850/900/1800/1900?

Thanks

gsm or wcdma

These standards are part of 3GPP Evolution.

They evolved as below.
GSM-->GPRS-->EDGE-->WCDM(UMTS)-->HSDPA.

GSM did not support packet data.
GPRS supported packet data at 171.2 kbps theoretically with new network elements in Core network (SGSN and GGSN).
EDGE uses same network elements as GPRS but with new Modulations (8PSK) instead of GMSK in GSM/GPRS. EDGE supported 384 kbps theoretically.
WCDMA(UMTS) is a 3G evolution for GSM family. it supports 2Mbps on forward link. WCDMA uses different radio access network (node B and RNC) rather than BTS and BSC in GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks.
HSDPA is nothing but the improved downlink packet data transfer on UMTS networks. IT supports upto 14.4. Mbps theoretically.

*Note:- GPRS,EDGE and HSDPA are DATA networks only i.e. they do not support circuit switched voice. GSM supports circuit switched voice and circuit switched data both. UMTS supports circuit switched voice and packet data.

regards

hsdpa wcdma difference

So GPRS has already been replaced by EDGE on most phones today? How about sms, MMS, internet access? All these are possible through GPRS, EDGE?

Thanks

wcdma or hsdpa

sachit said:
These standards are part of 3GPP Evolution.

They evolved as below.
GSM-->GPRS-->EDGE-->WCDM(UMTS)-->HSDPA.

GSM did not support packet data.
GPRS supported packet data at 171.2 kbps theoretically with new network elements in Core network (SGSN and GGSN).
EDGE uses same network elements as GPRS but with new Modulations (8PSK) instead of GMSK in GSM/GPRS. EDGE supported 384 kbps theoretically.
WCDMA(UMTS) is a 3G evolution for GSM family. it supports 2Mbps on forward link. WCDMA uses different radio access network (node B and RNC) rather than BTS and BSC in GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks.
HSDPA is nothing but the improved downlink packet data transfer on UMTS networks. IT supports upto 14.4. Mbps theoretically.

*Note:- GPRS,EDGE and HSDPA are DATA networks only i.e. they do not support circuit switched voice. GSM supports circuit switched voice and circuit switched data both. UMTS supports circuit switched voice and packet data.

regards

Hi sachit,

What is this 3G evolution for GSM family.

tramp

wcdma hsdpa

And what is CDMA EV-DO?

gprs edge wcdma hsdpa

Tramp,
3G evolution for GSM family means that TO support PAcket data GSM networks were upgraded by means of adding new network elements linke SGSN and GGSN in GPRS. TO further increase the data rates supported by the network, 3GPP introduced new air interface which is WCDMA (UMTS network).

Tyne,
MMS,WAP and internet are possible using GPRS and EDGE both. Only difference is the Data transfer speed.

555lin,
CDMA EVDO is nothing but a network upgrade for CDMA2000 networks to support higher data rates (2.4 Mbps).This is a network overlay on the existing CDMA 2000 networks. EV-DO=> EVolutionary Data Only.

gsm gprs edge wcdma hsdpa

hi
all are the posts were a year ago

im in pakistan
im doing my project on cdma-evdo so anyone can compare these technologies with cdma/evdo currently i.e 2009 on their latest advancement and research
thanx
sultan

gprs hsdpa wcdma

hello, I'm newbie on this kind of subjects.
I recently bought a nokia 5800XP, it's an Asian version and it works with WCDMA network for 3G. I live in Colombia and the network is HSDPA, so I can't connect to 3G network, I only can use the GPRS.
There is a way to change my cellphone with HSDPA network?

Thanks in advance and excuse my English

Lina

difference gprs hsdpa

the main different in date rate and little modulation

hsdpa is packet-switched or circuit switch

Hi friends
i want to send data with gsm module.
please help me about it.
my mail is:
mpch_elec@yahoo.com
it's so important for me.
thanks.

wcdma vs gprs

linithos said:
hello, I'm newbie on this kind of subjects.
I recently bought a nokia 5800XP, it's an Asian version and it works with WCDMA network for 3G. I live in Colombia and the network is HSDPA, so I can't connect to 3G network, I only can use the GPRS.
There is a way to change my cellphone with HSDPA network?

Thanks in advance and excuse my English

Lina

your english is just fine

greetings,
im in desperate need of a "WCDMA Physical Layer implementation" MATLAB code in .m file.. please help us in our cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.