Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are difference between QuatusII and MaxIIplus

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattawoot_s

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are difference between QuatusII and MaxIIplus?

While MaxPlusII is for implementation of logic on FPGA

QuartusII is for System On Chip development onto an FPGA

I was told that the "Synthesize" function of the MaxPlusII is not so good, especially for VHDL, and the QuartusII is much more better on it.

Quartus -> Only FPGA's (Flex, Apex, Stratix,etc...)
MaxPlus -> EPLD's and some FPGA's (eg 10K)

Chinasky is right. MaxPlus only supports low-density FPGA and CPLD. Quatus is for high-density FPGA.

Chinacky is right,

but Max2 has very low capacity to synthetise VHDL and lower, if possible, in verilog : it doesn't support all syntax.

I don' t know about quartus II, used just a little for NIOS implementation. Seems to run fine with Verilog.

TOTO2001

Qu@rtus now supports most of CPLD, m@x7000 included
except 7000S. Next version will do !

Regards

Hi,
As u guys said.. MaxPlus is for lower end products (EPLDs etc). It also does not recognise some VHDL syntaxs.
quartus now supports almost all the @ltera products.

--ukapil

Be careful with Quartus... It understands only a small subset of the VHDL syntax so do not do fancy high level VHDL stuff..

You could always compile your code with Leonardo Spectrum that comes with it, it should work. But Altera will not be providing Leonardo Spectrum as of october or something like that.

QuatusII need more PC RAMs than Altera.
I think 512MByte is recommended.

I guess we could sum it up in a few words. I'd say:

If you're starting a new design, use Quartus

If you need to modify an existing design made with MaxPlus2, use MaxPlus2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back