Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparison of Keil and IAR compilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtkee2003

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

i know that IAR can be used for 8051 and AVR and PIC.(it is a C compiler)

aslo Keil can be used for 8051 only.

let's compare these compilers.

regards.

iar keil

not really. keil can be used also for arm and c166.

mtkee2003

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
iar vs keil

IAR really produces compilers for different types of microcontrollers but each family of microcontroller has own type of compiler. The supported families of IAR are: MCS51; AVR; ARM; HC11; HC12; PIC16; PIC18; MSP430; Z80 ... (detail on https://www.iar.com/). Each compiler uses approximately the same syntaxes so it will be easy for you to migrate from one family to another. Second advantage is implementation C++.
Keil (https://www.keil.com/) also support many microcontrollers: ARM; MCS166; MCS251 and MCS51. And each family of microcontroller has own type of compiler. Its main advantage (for me) is in simple syntaxes because it is look like ANSY C.

keil iar

The only overlap from Keil and IAR are the 8051 market which is dominated by Keil and the ARM market which does not seem to have a dominant player at least in ARM7 yet.
If you want to use an 8051 I would recommend Keil, if one of the many architectures supported by IAR but not by Keil the question is void, if ARM7 I would recommend to download the limited memory versions of both companies and compare the output,
Cheers, Bob

iar keil comparison

i use keil,l like it

iar vs gcc

he he he
That's the great argument that nobody can oppose.

In fact if we are shouting on free versions of both keil and IAR, then we will not reach to the original reasons. Because nothing special in the either free versions.

For example I use IAR for ARM programming. Because it has built in support for Jlink debugger. Another coz is, I started programming with IAR and it has examples programs for my development board. On the other hand I use keil for DS89C450 programming. Because I started programming using keil.

I think GCC gnu should be added in this discussion as that is becoming more convenient for programming more than 32 K (that IAR supports) and some great people are making available supports for various embedded tools.

I didn’t use it for DS89C450. Does anybody use gcc for this? Is there any good tutorial and support for it?

iar to keil

Keil do well and more specialized in a couple of MCUs,while IAR deal more widely and elegantly!

keil or iar

to me keil is more user friendly

keil vs gcc

Keil ARM tool is not as good as the IRA.
Try the an ARM9 project and you feel the different.

iar arm tutorial

Keil my best friends...

iar oder keil

IAR compiler support many micros like as AVR,MSP430,ARM7(from atmel ST,NXP,..) and have the same environment for all of them.

I think it is better ,for ARM they have a tool including RTOS,TCPIP,FS.

iar 8051 tutorial

Both companies offer free evaluation versions of their compilers for download.
Make a small prooject, compare them and find out which is better for you. Nothing beats the own experience!

Robert

keil versus iar

IAR is really a good develop environment for MCS51; AVR; ARM; HC11; HC12; PIC16; PIC18; MSP430; Z80 !I like it!

iar keil

i am working by using Keil Uvision

but i think then advantage for the IAR is that having the same IDE u can work on different controllers

iar keil

I am using Keil for ARM 7 it is best tool for ARM7.
But when it comes to ARM9 and others advanced ARM core keil has very limited support for them.
One thing I want to tell you is IAR for ARM is quite costly than Keil for ARM.

So choise depends on application to application for ARM7 I always prefer keil

Girish

keil iar compiler

WinAVR, WinARM, MSP-GCC, SDCC are the best (cost = 0)...

iar or keil

girish_wabale said:
I am using Keil for ARM 7 it is best tool for ARM7.
But when it comes to ARM9 and others advanced ARM core keil has very limited support for them.

I guess you have not updated your Keil for a long time. The Keil compiler is based on ARM RealView and if there is one compiler in the world that supports latest features of the ARM cores it is RealView ebcause it comes from the same company as the cores.

It seems you are still using CARM from Keil, that has basically been discontinued 1.5 years ago. :?:

On the other hand, why do you think IAR is much costlier? If you are looking for a compiler that support many different cores, including , IAR is a great choice as well

iar vs keil arm

fireball003 said:
I didn’t use it for DS89C450. Does anybody use gcc for this? Is there any good tutorial and support for it?

I use SDCC (another GCC Based Compiler) for this microcontroller,the only thing
that you need is downloading this microcontroller Header File from MAXIM Web site.

See this Link (App Note 3477 from Maxim) :
**broken link removed**

(it also includes the header file).I use Keil and I love it but for this microcontroller, I
need maximum speed and SDCC speed-Based Optimization was AMAZING.

For ARM-Based chips,I try both Keil and IAR,and also i need the maximum speed,
IAR beats Keil easily (With enabling maximum Speed optimization of both compilers).
(in My special case,the same routine in iar consumes 55000 Clock cycles
,but in keil it consumes more than 210000 clock cycles!!!).

Good Luck!

keil arm c tutorial

selct keil is a smart ,because arm Co buy keil。

Added after 1 minutes:

I like Keil more than IAR

keil or iar software

I like Keil

Status
Not open for further replies.