Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explanation of supply voltage range

Status
Not open for further replies.

twonsr

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all :

When I read some datasheet, the specified supply voltage range is "-0.3v to 6v".

I don't understand why "-0.3v" is.

Could someone tell me about that ?

Thanks a lot.

Supply voltage range

dont make the diode turn on

Supply voltage range

The title of that section of the data sheet probably says "Absolute Maximum Ratings". That means the device should survive those crazy voltages without damage, but it won't necessarily operate normally over that entire range.

Re: Supply voltage range

Which diode you mentioned? we know that when supply voltage exceed 6v(example) the device will be damaged, but when supply voltage is lower than -0.3v(example), what will happen? Thx!

Bg,

sunking said:
dont make the diode turn on

Re: Supply voltage range

twolevel2002,

Most ICs are constructed on a substrate consisting of P++ material. A "well" of N type material is then embedded in the substrate. The IC depends on the reverse biased diode formed by the N type well and the P++ substrate to keep the indiviual elements of the IC from shorting together. a voltage of -.3 volts is the maximum that can be applied without forward biasing the "substrate diode" and shorting everything together.
Regards,
Kral

twonsr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back