Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the relation of RMS to PMPO rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rms=pmpo

it seems to me that all this is to fool the consumer when buying a equipment. and no one decides to do a ommon measure standart because it's not good for profits. but there are companies like technics that supply both RMS and PMPO output capacity of the amplifier.

i would like to say that this is a question I always wanted an answer for.

rms or pmpo

I have an approximate formula based on my experiance on various speaker powers and their PMPOs.

RMS=PMPO/(10*sqrt(2))

So 14W PMPO = 1W RMS

pmpo to rms converter

Am plannin to go in for car audio speakers soon (rear speakers, 6"x9").
I have two options, not sure which one to go in for:

Pioneer: 460w pmpo, 80w rms
JBL: 300w pmpo, 100w rms

Now can anyone help me out with this please?

p.m.p.o vs rms

Huh forget the power numbers. Check if your head unit amplifier channels powers do not exceed the nominal speakers power (the power nominated in "Wrms" (there is no watts rms, the term "rms" only applies to voltage and current, not to power), I would check also the frequency response of the combined speakers (triaxials ? coaxials ?). Both brands are good, maybe the decision could be made upon the prices. You will not put maximum power over them, or will you ?

In fact, cars are not the best place to hear music (but a lot of guys like to blow theirs ears with junk and loud sound).

rms versus pmpo

Another way of looking it is that RMS indicates continuous power and pmpo peak power only. eg if an amp has 100w pmpo and if you use it close to this peak power then the chances are you'll get distortion with a chance of blowing your output load eg yr speakers( see bandwidth). one reason why the cheap hifis are rated in pmpo is that it looks good. RMS on the other hand is average power and gives a better indication of the power capable of being delivered without distortion. I usually consider pmpo as being about 4 times greatr than RMS on any cheap system. rms incidentally is much easier to convert to a logarithmic/decibel rating which leads into the bandwidth capable of being delivered( not applicable to pmpo since this is measured only at one peak frequency usually the low base frequencies, since this gives maximum output power)

how to calculate pmpo from rms

if i remember corectly your rms value is 0.73 or round about there
and your peak value is at the top of your wave and seing that the peak value is only at its peak for a very short amount of time compared to the rms value weare you have the same value and more for the rest of the wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back