Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to define the Capacitor value for DC block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_li

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dc blocking capacitor

Hi all,
I want to design a RF AMP.(freq.1900MHz),and how can i define the capacitor value for DC block and inductor value for DC feed? What is the rule to select this type component for DC?
Thanks
John

dc block capacitor

In general DC blocking capacitor shall behave like a short at working frequency
Calculate the reactance in ohms of the DC blocking capacitor for a minimum value at your working frequency:
Usually Xc(ohms) = 1/(2*3.14*f*C) shall be less than 2 ohms at working frequency.

where
f = frequency in Hz
C = Capacitance in Farad

For example 100pF at 900MHz has Xc = 1.8ohms

Another option for DC blocking cap is to choose a capacitor with SRF at the working frequency.

The RF choke is a circuit element designed to present high impedance to RF energy while offering minimal resistance to direct current.
Usually the choke reactance XL(ohms) = 2*3.14*f*L shall be greater than 500ohms at working frequency.

dc blocking capacitor value

You also need to look at self resonance frequency of the capacitor also. The operating frequency must be less than self resonance frequency otherwise the capacitor will act as an inductor.

Reactions: ant_ebg

John_li

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

ant_ebg

blocking capacitor calculation

The free software Agilent AppCad performs that calculation in a exaustive and simply to understand manner.

John_li

dc blocking cap

there r two opinions about SRF dc block capacitor?
which one is the better , SRF at operating frequency or SRF higher than operating freq?

Re: dc blocking cap

SRF higher would be better as all caps have tolerances. It will ensure that the capacitor has capacitive effects rather then inductive at operating frequency.

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 ----------

Vfone could you please provide references, I want to quote them in one of my paper. Thanks

Re: dc blocking cap

Vfone could you please provide references, I want to quote them in one of my paper. Thanks

You might be able to find language like that in some amplifier cookbook's... but in general, those concepts are something taught in school, and are known to those "skilled in the art" of RF design. They are generally learned from senior designers as a rule-of-thumb by most RF people that I know.

There is always theoretical or practical evidence behind a statement.

There is always theoretical or practical evidence behind a statement.

Of course you can determine the circuit values from the fundamental equations, but the "why" is often learned from practice/experience (and it's usually obvious that you don't want to put large, unwanted parasitics into your nice, ideal design).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back