Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much MIPS do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio_Magma

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how much mips need

My project involves implementing an OFDM transciever using a DSP.

I have currently narrowed down my list to 2 DSPs:
TMS320C6416 DSK (Fixed-point) 8000million MIPS
TMS320C6713 DSK (Floating-point) 1800million MIPS & 1350 MFLOPS

Question:
How do i determine how much processing power my application needs?

Evaluate your algrithm, usually by comparison to other algrithm that has been implemented before. If you don't have any reference, ask for support or protyping you algrithm.

you should count how many operations (multiply and add) you need to estimate one sample and then
multiply it by total sample per seconds. So you
get MIPS

you should count how many operations (multiply and add) you need to estimate one sample and then
multiply it by total sample per seconds. So you
get MIPS

Ok, so in my case i'll be doing maybe a 64 FFT..how do i no how much multiply or additions it involves? Can u give me an example of the calculation? thx...

The Best way is prototyping in CCS (Code Composer Studio).

emad1347 said:
The Best way is prototyping in CCS (Code Composer Studio).

if i have to prototype in CCS, that means i would already have purchased the processor right, since only then i would have CCS. If so, it wouldnt matter how much MIPS i need right? since i've already bought the dsp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back