Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend chips for optical encoder design

Status
Not open for further replies.

yashmodi

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone,

i am looking forward to interface 8051 with an incremental encoder
my project guide has asked me to look for an incremental encoder with a 32 bit count and parallel readout.
i want to implement the counter in hardware and not by implementing software interrupts.
kindly help me out with the encoder and the chips required, and also how do i go about programming it.

thanx a lot
yash

binary counter 32-bit spi

It is not clear to me why you would build external modulo-32 bit counter where all these functions can be easily implemented witn 8051 microcontroller, but, if it is only for the sake of excercises then I would go for "old" goodies such as 74393 (dual 4-bit binary counter with reset).
You will need 3 of these counters to build full 32-bit binary counter.
Other candidates can be selected from the 4000 family. Here you can use 4020 (14-bit) or 4040(12-bit) binary counters.
All 32 outputs can be connected to 8051 ports P0, P1 and P2.

Also keep in mind that single-channel encoders (tachometers), are inherently less accurate than dual-channel versions and cannot register direction. Inaccurate readings often result when the code wheel stops on or near a slot's edge and vibrations move the code wheel back and forth. If the slot edge interrupts the light beam, the counter increments with each transition.

At this stage there is no point in discussing the software side of your project.
Firstly, you need to design the hardware and then we can help you (if needed) in writing the code.

Other question is how, or in what form, are you going to use/display the result of the 32-but counter?

Regards,
IanP

hctl-2032

hello everyone,

i am looking forward to interface 8051 with an incremental encoder through a quadrature counter. i did not want to interface the incremental encoder with 8051 directly cos i thought that it would make the processing very slow, besider complicating the coding

i searched the net and haved zeroed on agilents HCTL -2032 , the other options being

1. texas instrument's TMS320x280x dsp controller module (of which i have no idea)
2.LS7366 that has a 32bit up/down counter, index channel suppot and SPI interface

what are the other ways of positions , direction and velocity feedback?

should i go ahead using HCTL - 2032 or are there better alternatives?
what is TMS320x280x exactly, is it a chip or a complete module, it seemed very complicated?

guys it would be gr8 if ull could help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.