Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone explain the Video Bandwidth of Spectrum Analyzer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whorse

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
video bandwidth spectrum analyzer

and what's the relationship of Video Bandwidth with Resolution Bandwidth?

spectrum analyzer video bandwidth

The envelope detector is followed by the video filter which defines the
video bandwidth (VBW). The video filter is a first order lowpass configuration
used to free the video signal from noise, and to smooth the trace that
is subsequently displayed so that the display is stabilized.

video bandwidth of spectrum analyzer

Video Bandwidth - change smoothness of signal (when it high , not appearing noise level and became a singal smooth line)
Resolution Bandwidth - Change Resolution of bandwidth that you selected (When it high your signal spread on your monitor)

video filtering spectrum analyzer

To make it in the simplest way:
Resolution bandwith: the bandwith of the "filter" that is swept across the rquired band of the SpAnal.
Video Bandwith: after the swept "filter" (as above) an amplitude detection takes place. followed by a lowpass filter. The VBW is the bandwith of this afterdetection filter.

video filter bandwidth

I feel a little confused, the Video filter is applied to the spectrum waveform ( not the time domain), right? then how can you tell " the video bandwidth is 100kHz" (for example) ? What is the physical meaning of the video filter's output?

video signal spectrum

Try this ,

Regards,
Isuranja

video filter in spectrum analyzer

Download Agilent's excellent Application Note 150, "Spectrum Analyzer Basics"
**broken link removed**

spectrum video bandwidth

Still confused after refer to the appnote , Video filter is applied to the spectrum waveform , then what does the bandwidth parameter stand for?

video bw effect with spectrum

See App Note 150:
Page 16 describes the IF filter. This is the important "resolution bandwidth" filter.
Page 34 describes the video filter. This is usually a simple display plot smoothing filter.
Page 10 shows the IF filter located before the detector, and the video filter located after the detector.

Does that help a little?

Do you have a spectrum analyzer to play with, so you can see how these filters behave?

what is video bandwidth spectrum analyzer

Resolution : What is the difference in the consecutive frequencies used for sweeping? (similar to periodogram in spectrum analysis)

Video : The spectrum is not consistent and needs to be averaged. THE VBW indicates this averaging. ( Averaged periodgram)

Do refer Spectrum analysis books for easier understanding.

BR
Madhukar

resolution bandwidth of spectrum analyzer

lets take an example, if the resolution bandwidth is 100khz, video bandwidth is 10khz, then how to tune the video filter to make this bandwidth? I know the Video filter is to make the spectrum smooth, but how this filter be related to a bandwidth? I need to know why the video bandwidth inverse proportional to the smoothness of the spectrum.

video bandwidth in spectrum analyzer

video bandwidth is the bandwidth of filter following the detector!

resolution bandwith

The IF filter sets the instrument's resolution bandwidth. That's the important one.

The video filter is usually a dumb little thing that simply smooths the display, and may not be adjustable. In many instruments, it is a low-pass filter applied to the CRT vertical deflection circuit, so it isn't really related to bandwith. It's more related to the sweep speed. Most of the time I simply turn it off.

vertical bandwidth spectrum analyzer

echo47 said:
The IF filter sets the instrument's resolution bandwidth. That's the important one.

The video filter is usually a dumb little thing that simply smooths the display, and may not be adjustable. In many instruments, it is a low-pass filter applied to the CRT vertical deflection circuit, so it isn't really related to bandwith. It's more related to the sweep speed. Most of the time I simply turn it off.

Your answer is quite useful, if this filter is not related to bandwidth, then I'm not puzzled about this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back