Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RPM calculations and understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i am confused with RPM calculations of the motor that is the rotations per minute of the motor.
Let us say the RPM of a machine is 6000 RPM.
6000 RPM -> 6000/60 Rotations per second -> 100 rps. If it is a n pole pair motor that is n*2 poles. Then it is 100 * n * 2 electrical angles per second.

electrical angles

100 * n * 2 ----> 1 second
then the number of electrical angles for 1 ms is (100*n*2/1000).
for
1degree ---> 1/(100 * n * 2) seconds.
Am i correct in the above calculations? Why i am asking is i want to estimate the rotor position every 1 ms based on the hall sensor. Currently i don't have either encoder or resolver. One big confusion i have where is the processor clock coming into picture? Can you please help me to understand in what part of calculations does the processor clock will come into picture?

Hi,

Not sure what you try to calculate... but i nowhere see that 1 revolution means 360°.

Klaus

Sorry my mistake
360 degrees -> 1/(100 * n * 2) seconds.
1 degree-> 1/(100 * n * 2 * 360) seconds.
I am mainly trying to understand the following equation attached

rpm.png

I don't understand the Timer1 input clock parameter. Can you please help to understand the significance of that clock. Long time trying to understand that term. What happens for different clock frequencies? Please help.

Attachments

• 01017A.pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 37

hi,

I am confused does it mean that 1 revolution is not equal to 360degrees.

from post#2:
Not sure what you try to calculate... but i nowhere see that 1 revolution means 360°.
--> nowhere in your formule of post#1..

Klaus

Your formula has nothing to do with the electrical degree. I looked at the image. It gives you the number of the pulses your timer receive when the rotor complete an electrical revolving (360 electrical). your timer can recieve any number of pulses according to your oscilator, rotating speed, timer prescale, etc. It is not necessarily 360. It can be any number.

Status
Not open for further replies.