Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I switch 1500V DC using Power Mosfets or IGBTs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileychic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I switch 1500V DC using Power Mosfets or IGBTs ?

I need to get a pulse of 1500V DC (+/-) at the output of the Mosfet or IGBTs. The current rating will be 20mA at 1500V DC. Which FET driver and which N Channel Mosfets or IGBTs I have to use. The output will have both +1500V and -1500V in the pulses. It will be like a square wave. First I need to make a simulation in Proteus using say 500V DC and 900V type Mosfet. Later I will implement it on hardware. Should I go for Push Pull topology ?

I will be using PIC18F26K22 microcontroller for the project. Mosfet switching speed is 100 Hz.

Edit:

I found that I can use IXTH1N200P3-ND N Channel Power Mosfet for the application. Please answer my other questions about which FET driver I can use and which switching topology I have to use to get square wave of +/-1500V DC.

Last edited:

Hi,

you say Dc, but then you say +/- 1500V.
To me it´s not clear what you mean.
What is your idea to generate these pulses. Schematic / draft?

What driver to use depends on the schamatic and the expected rise/fall time of the output signal.

First I need to make a simulation in Proteus using say 500V DC and 900V type Mosfet.
Why the limitiation to 500V or 900V? It´s not more dangerous to simulate wiht 1500V. ;-)

Should I go for Push Pull topology ?
We don´t know if you need it or not.

I will be using PIC18F26K22 microcontroller for the project.
More important (for choosing the driver) is the signal level, than the microcontroller type.

Klaus

You can buy multi kV HV switches using cascaded MOSFET with floating drivers from small specialized manufacturers, used e.g. in scientific instruments.

May be someone knows a ready-to-make schematic or at least general guidelines from a paper.

Pulse rise time is more critical than rate, I suppose. What's your intended specification, what's the load capacitance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back