Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TVS diode properties in the forward direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a "normal diode"? What's "fast"? Do you mean fast like a Schottky? Or fast like a 1n4001? When the manufacturer doesn't specify a parameter, it usually suggests that maybe you're trying to use it for something it's not intended for. It says right there on the data sheet:

The SMAJ series is designed specifically to protect sensitive electronic equipment from voltage transients induced by lightning and other transient voltage events.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Their Vf isn't higher than other Si diodes. 3.5V is at huge surge current when series resistance dominates. I won't expect fast particular fast rectifier operation of a TVS diode, it has large area and high capacitance.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, i believe all diodes like Schottkys, Ultra Fasts, even silicon rects, all turn on super fast....(turn off is different)...but do tvs's turn on fast too?

Thanks, i am referring to unipolar ones here, in the forward direction.

Of course, but a bipolar TVS is a back-to-back series circuit of two unipolar TVS, and one diode is always operated in forward direction. In so far, fast clamping capability of bipolar diodes depends also on the forward characteristic of the basic TVS chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.