Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] EFM8UB3 Factory bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpsganesh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I made a custom HW with minimal support for USB factory bootloader using EFM8UB31F40G-A-QSOP24. It's USB powered device, before connecting to USB, to enter bootloader mode I'm connecting P2.0 (C2D) to GND. (and RSTb (C2CK) PIN pullup to 5v)

When I connect it to my PC (laptop) I can see th device connected as HID in device manager.

I took a example program to blink a LED. Converted hex to EFM8 file using hex2boot.exe and trying to download this EFM8 file to deice using factory bootloader using efm8load.exe. But it says "ERROR: Unable to open port!"

Please refer the attached screenshot1, my laptop has some other HID device connected. Is that the problem for not programming? referring AN945 document, it says only one HID device should be connected.

screenshot1.PNG
screenshot2.PNG
screenshot3.PNG
screenshot5.PNG
screenshot6.PNG
screenshot7.PNG

my laptop has some other HID device connected. Is that the problem for not programming? referring AN945 document, it says only one HID device should be connected.
They say something more specific, connect not more than one HID boot loader instance. "Only one HID" make no sense because all modern PCs have some HID devices connected, e.g. mouse, keyboard.

Seriously I don't know how the fault is brought up. I think it either means that no HID boot loader device is presently detected, or that it's not ready for communication, or that the efm8load app is missing some parameters that have to be set to use the HID channel.

Thanks for your time and reply.

I'm connecting only one microcontroller at a time. Before this EFM8UB3 device I tried with EFM8UB2. But EFM8UB2 did not get detected as HID due to issue in factory bootloader. That they conformed through errata notification. That issue resolved in EFM8UB3 and it gets detected as HID when I connect it to my USB port. Still don't know why it's not programming.

Please let me know if you need any more information for better understanding of this scenario. Once again thanks for your time.

I checked in hidport.py it doesn't include valid PID USB product ID (0xEACB) for EFM8UB3 support. It had only EFM8UB1 (PID-0xEAC9) & EFM8UB2 (PID-0xEACA). So it could not program the device. Now I added 0xEACB and rebuilt the python code, alternatively I downloaded latest version of AN945SW (https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/example-code/AN945SW.zip) from Silabs website and it included EFM8UB3 (PIC-0xEACB) support. So directly I can use it.

Issue resolved, thank you. Silabs can proactively update product supporting's in parallel with product release to avoid such a complication in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.