Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what size end launch SMA would best fit a 1mm FR4 board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what size end launch SMA would best fit a 1mm FR4 board that goes to microstrip? I looked at an SMA datasheet and looked at the end size and it was 0.037 + and - 0.003 as shown here on the dimensions of the SMA connector: https://imgur.com/a/Zi3ZI2r ... would this be a good fit, or what size would you pick for a 1mm sized FR4 board? It comes out that 1mm is 0.039'', but if I get my board manufactured, they might say the SMA does not fit, what size would you pick? I was thinking if the SMA is too large, this could effect the characteristic impedance when it is soldered onto the board, correct?

Last edited:

So, you expect a connector that could have a dimension as small as .034" to fit on a board that is .039" (+?)?. I think you're just asking for trouble if this is going to be a production board. Connector manufacturers usually specify the intended board thickness; find one that fits your board. Or contact the manufacturer and tell them what you're looking for. That's a lot safer than hoping it will fit and perform correctly.

Yes i use those commonly for prototyping work. but i would NOT try them above say 3 GHz. The pin is too big, and the solder blob would have too much capacitance.

They are really only designed for use with FR4 thick boards.

It was a deliberate design choice to keep the cost low. I use it on an antenna and the efficiency only drops below 70% above 10GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back