Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Glitch Filter VHDL // Lattice document

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Figure 2 digital filter circuit from the document shows this:
Capture.PNG
And does the following:
  • set output high if all bits in shift register are 1's
  • set output low if all bits in shift register are 0's
This basically means that the input has to be stable for n clock cycles before it's considered a valid change to a new value.

Simply translate it to an HDL

Code Verilog - [expand]
module dfc #(
  parameter n = 5 // e.g. 100 MHz, 5 taps, 50ns filter time
) (
  input clk;
  input in;
  output reg out
);
reg [n-1:0] shift_reg;
always @(posedge clk) begin
  // shift register for input in.
  shift_reg <= {shift_reg[n-2:0], in};
  // set/reset flip-flop
  if      (&shift_reg)  out <= 1'b1;  // all one's condition on shift_reg, & is reduction AND
  else if (~|shift_reg) out <= 1'b0;  // all zero's condition on shift_reg, ~| is a reduction NOR
end
endmodule

Hardware Description Language - all I did was write in Verilog the circuit drawn in Figure 2.

BTW when I read the above code I see the circuit in Fig 2. If I see the circuit in Fig 2 I see the code I posted. To me they are the same thing described as a picture or as text.

I think that this is why so many people with heavy software backgrounds have trouble with VHDL/Verilog because they don't see the hardware schematic when reading the code. Instead they see a software program. Conversely when they get a schematic of a circuit they can translate it to VHDL/Verilog, because they can't see the schematic as code.

Thank you! Yes I'm still learning. It took me a long time to figure out that my problem is a glitch issue due to the "bad" design, I'm using an FPGA breakout board which has a bad routing which easily picks up noise.

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=150553&p=648584&viewfull=1#post648584

The glitches are indeed randomly within 50ns and I figured the requirement of a filter (in this setup) is not because of speed but especially because of the bad design.

You'll see that above a certain noise level, the simple all-1 / all-0 logic suggested in the document isn't optimal. You better implement some kind of majority logic, as it's done in some classical UART receiver modules.

You'll see that above a certain noise level, the simple all-1 / all-0 logic suggested in the document isn't optimal. You better implement some kind of majority logic, as it's done in some classical UART receiver modules.

What is this some sort of 2/3 of the bits in the bit time are either 1 or 0 so the result is 1 or 0 respectively?

Yes, or 5-6 out of 8, or something similar. The idea is that a single glitch inside an almost stable 0 or 1 should no prevent recognition of the bit value.

ok everything's clear now.

I'm also implementing an I2C-slave I have used the "filtering"-way which is described in the lattice document (I'm using 3 taps), my clock is running at 12mhz.
The glitches (visible with the scope) usually come up within 1 clock cycle (within 84ns). In this case I can see the need of the 50ns filter.

I hope once I have my final PCB and do not rely on jumpwiring separate boards anymore the glitches will be gone.

#6 This sound like some best practices stuff.

Where did you learn this? Is there anything published on this?

I think it's important to know fixes to rubbish hardware/development prototypes.

Hi,

I sometimes use an up-down-counter as filter.

Clk = system_clock
EN = either 1 or a divided system clock
Dir = is the input I want to de-glitch

Thus a "1" signal makes the counter to count up
a "0" signal makes the counter to count down.

On upper limit I set the the (deglitched) output as "1", and prevent the counter from further counting up
On lower limit I set the the (deglitched) output as "0", and prevent the counter from further counting down

on a 4 bit counter you could set the lower limit to "0" and the upper limit to "15" (decimal)
Then you get a deglitch time of 15 counter_clock_cycles in both directions.
In case of a n "wrong" glitches you need 2 x n extra counts for the output to switch.

This saves flipflops especially for long deglitch times.
With n flipflops you can get a delay time of up to 2^(n-1) -1 clock cycles... in both directions.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.