Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck/Boost Converter Design Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naviit

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,

So I am trying to design a DC/DC buck/boost non-inverting converter for one of my classes. I am going to be using a transformer rated at 24V/2A on the secondary side, with a 12V center tap. I also want to use two N-Channel MOSFETS to act as my switches, so when one is on, the circuit is bucking, and when the other is on, it is boosting. An Arduino is being used as a microcontroller in order to supply the pulse. Well that is the main components of my idea.

The MOSFET I am using is the IRFZ34N Power MOSFET. The problem I am having is I can get the circuit to buck, however I am not able to get it to boost. I believe this is due to the gate current not being high enough to turn the second MOSFET on, in order for the circuit to boost. I came to the conclusion that I will be needing a MOSFET driver in order to boost the gate current of the second MOSFET. Is this idea correct? If so, how would I go about selecting a compatible driver for the IRFZ34N? If you guys could help me out, I would very much appreciate it.

Oh and what type of rectifier would you guys recommend I implement when converting the voltage from the transformer?

Thanks again

Hi,

I came to the conclusion that I will be needing a MOSFET driver in order to boost the gate current of the second MOSFET. Is this idea correct?
We don't see your schematic, thus we can't verify if you need a driver or there is another problem...

Yes, the conclusion is right: if the gate current is too low you need a driver....obviously....

If so, how would I go about selecting a compatible driver for the IRFZ34N?
Do it as with any other device selection: go to a manufacturer or distributer's internet site and use the interactive selection guide.
They ask you about your (key) specifications. In a chart often the most left columns are the most important.
I assume the most important are V, I, f...
We don't know nothing about your circuit...thus: how do you think we can help to choose a driver?

Oh and what type of rectifier would you guys recommend I implement when converting the voltage from the transformer?
I think we don't have enough information to answer this question.

Klaus

The boost converter needs continuous switching action On and Off. If it stalls then you could have current going through the inductor indefinitely until something gets ruined.

Hence there needs to be an independent pulse generator, guaranteed to switch current On and Off through the inductor, regardless of how output voltage compares with your reference voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.